Manky manholes

Has anyone had good results painting cast manhole covers? I have two outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very pretty. Long term plan is to re pave the area and use inset covers, but that won't happen for at least a couple more years as I have more important improvements to make.
Mike

Never tried it myself but I can't see a problem painting them ... good stiff wire brush and a nice coat of Hammerite should smarten them up
http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_dtr_metal_paint.html
Ash
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:54:49 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

========================================You could try a rust remover / converter such as 'Jenolite'. The colour would change to a deep bronze but I'm not sure how long it would last before it needed a further treatment.
Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux

hammerite - hides a multitude of imperfections
A good builders merchant will have these in stock. You can get galvanised and also black plasticky covered (ruberised?).
| Has anyone had good results painting cast manhole covers? I have two outside | the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very pretty. | Long term plan is to re pave the area and use inset covers, but that won't | happen for at least a couple more years as I have more important | improvements to make. | | Mike | |
I very much doubt I would find new lids to fit the 1930s frames and don't realy want start hacking up the paving to set new frames at present. I was after advice on the best paint to improve the appearance.
Mike

You won't know until you try. I found one to fit, and my house is a 30's house.
| > | Has anyone had good results painting cast manhole covers? I have two | > outside | > | the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very | > pretty. | > | Long term plan is to re pave the area and use inset covers, but that | > won't | > | happen for at least a couple more years as I have more important | > | improvements to make. | > | | > | Mike | > | | > | | > | > | |
One maybe, but the two are slightly different shapes.
Mike

snipped-for-privacy@mattishall.org.uk says...

Have you considered Brasso?

Think Muddymike wants them smartening up this side of 2010 !

"Angle Grinder"!!
I had this problem many years ago I used a wire brush on an electric drill to get all the rust off - looked OK like that if you like shiney! But then bought a tin of Hammerite I think it was called something like gun metal grey I lived there for almost 4 years and never needed to re-do it.
One further point, it was the hot summer of '76 that maybe helped bake the paint on :-)
Ron