Concrete Manhole Covers

Does anyone know of any tips/tricks for lifting a concrete manhole cover which seems reluctant to be lifted ?

Are there any special tools which would ease such an operation? If so, where would I get it?

Reply to
dan22

Is it locked, or just heavy?

If locked - obtain key. Google uk.rec.subterranea

Manhole cover lifters

A google for manhole cover lifters .co.uk gives quite a few results including

type handles)

(big one with wheels, for hire)

(another big one with wheels)

lifter, 4 key heads)

lever)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not locked, jjust heavy - and has not been lifted for years SNIP

Reply to
dan22

IME, they're very, *very*, *VERY* heavy. I could barely lift the ones in our garden, and I'm not called "Huge" for no good reason.

At the first opportunity, I changed them for steel ones, which I now (some 10 years later) have to change for *galvanised* steel ones.

Reply to
Huge

Many thanks for your suggestions. I have now solved the problem. Too complicated to explain exactly but it involved

1 a large breaker bar 2 two bricks 3 a length of bicycle chain 4 a steel woodscrew 5 a hydraulic car lift 6 a mixture of curses and prayers

However success eventually - thanks again

Reply to
dan22

Thanks for the suggestion - especially the warning about the need for galvanised.

Reply to
dan22

A lever. And some sort of wedge to shove under the edge when you do get it lifted.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That sounds an intriguing and unusual combination.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Wot no sticky-back plastic!

Owain