Indoor spray painting

Hi all,
Just about to move into a new house, other half says painting is required in all rooms except kitchen!
As that comes to about 200m^2 of wall and I've got an air compressor plus something very like this - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39424/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/General-Purpose-Spray-Gun - spray painting comes to mind, though I'll need to get hold of a filter to remove any compressor oil from the air supply and also lots and lots of masking tape :)
Two questions:
- What kind of air mask will I need? - I suspect the paint tool won't work right if I point it at the ceiling (should that be required too) and nor will the gravity fed type. Is there an air tool which can do that or will mine work?
Any other comments welcome, as would be a link to a guide on indoor spray painting!
Thanks again,
Peter.
Peter Spikings wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39424/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/General-Purpose-Spray-Gun

Unless you live in a log cabin or something similar - use a roller. Even a roller with pressurised paint feed. It will be much, much faster than a spray.
-- Sue
Palindrome wrote:

No, it's not a log cabin :)
I did my fence with the sprayer and while it would have been quicker with a roller (had the fence been flat that is) I like the super quick drying time of spray painting. Also I want the finish to be near perfect, I used a roller for doing some painting at my current house and while it looks even when you glance at it, if you look closely at it the texture is a bit speckled and you can tell where the roller went. Am I being too picky? :)
Thanks,
Peter.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39424/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/General-Purpose-Spray-Gun -

I suggest you check out the Mr Bean way of interior decorating :-)
Mike

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39424/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/General-Purpose-Spray-Gun -

Of course your going to get lots of 'comical' reactions because its not "the norm." Fact is that its a really efficient way of doing the job.
The oil in your compressor will be minute amounts and this can be drained very quickly and simply by allowing the compressor tank to fill then releasing the drain screw underneath, we used to do this every 2 weeks or so when we were spraying cars etc. The mask for emulsion would only need to be a simple dust mask (if you are spraying any type of oil paint I would use a heavier type of mask) but make sure you have resonable ventilation through the building. The finish is far superior to that of rollers and brushes and it is also far quicker to apply and dry, there are drawbacks in that the prep work with masking etc is a real pain but you will get quicker at it and is worth the hassle. Make sure your not over powering the gun or it will end patchy and make your application strokes as long as possible. Thin the emulsion to about the consistency of real milk (not the milk with all the milk taken out) and the gun should cope just fine at about 46-60 psi unless its a hvlp (high volume low pressure) type in which case it could be as low as 15psi. Actual application time when I did mine was wall 18ft X 10 about 5 minutes per coat X 2 coats ...result...perfection. Good luck with it and I hope it all pays off for you.

Teac wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/39424/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/General-Purpose-Spray-Gun -

Presumably letting the air out again slowly before undoing the screw :)
> we used to do this every 2 weeks or so

Thanks, I guess if the paint isn't sprayable out of the tin then I can ring the company for exactly how much thinner to add.
What I reckon I'll do is try it with the smallest bedroom first and report back here (at the end of the month).
Thanks for all the responces.
Peter.
Peter Spikings wrote:

a roller is perfectly adequate even for her, so unless your wall is perfect and you are spraying gloss stick to a roller or even a paint pad
--
Kevin R
Reply address works