How much would you pay for...

10 pannelled doors, 1 bannister & 4 small /average rooms skirting to be painted in gloss?
All need 1 rub down, 1 undercoat, 1 top coat.
Mum's friend is doing it in his spare time, I think it will be odd afternoons over a couple of weeks. He's not a professional decorator.
I know this is DIY, but I'm DIYing the rest of the house!
--
Vj

Vdkjll wrote:

Depends whether he's using an electric sander I suppose, as the sanding will take most of the time plus removing door furniture. At least an hour per door for a decent job [1] and the same per room for the skirting. Then what do you pay him per hour for the work?
[1] Thinking how long it would take me as an amateur
--
Malc

"Bother!" said Pooh, and hid Piglet\'s corpse
malc wrote:

Ok I'll re-do the question, I always miss stuff off!
All need A VERY LIGHT rub down just to provide a key for the paint, 1 undercoat, 1 top coat.
The ugly, brass /effect/, elbow-bashing door furniture has already been removed by me, and flung with gay abandon into the rubble sack.
The job will be better than if I did it. I provided all the paint, brushes & tea. He's using his sandpaper and brush cleaner.
An hour per door. Is that per coat, or all in? 10 per hour makes 140. Well, I'll offer him that and if his face falls off, then I'll offer him some more.
If anyone else has opinions, please given them, he'll not be finished this week.
: malc wrote: : > Vdkjll wrote: : >> 10 pannelled doors, 1 bannister & 4 small /average rooms skirting to : >> be painted in gloss? : >> : >> All need 1 rub down, 1 undercoat, 1 top coat. : >> : >> Mum's friend is doing it in his spare time, I think it will be odd : >> afternoons over a couple of weeks. He's not a professional : >> decorator. : > Depends whether he's using an electric sander I suppose, as the : > sanding will take most of the time plus removing door furniture. At : > least an hour per door for a decent job [1] and the same per room for : > the skirting. Then what do you pay him per hour for the work? : > : > [1] Thinking how long it would take me as an amateur : : Ok I'll re-do the question, I always miss stuff off! : : All need A VERY LIGHT rub down just to provide a key for the paint, 1 : undercoat, 1 top coat. : : The ugly, brass /effect/, elbow-bashing door furniture has already been : removed by me, and flung with gay abandon into the rubble sack. : : The job will be better than if I did it. I provided all the paint, brushes : & tea. He's using his sandpaper and brush cleaner. : : An hour per door. Is that per coat, or all in? 10 per hour makes 140. : Well, I'll offer him that and if his face falls off, then I'll offer him : some more. : : If anyone else has opinions, please given them, he'll not be finished this : week. :
Offer him 100 + cost of his materials (say 25) and tell him there will be more work for him in the near future. If he says OK with enthusiasm, then you're in there, if he says "yeah right" with little gusto, then you know he'll never come back. Then send him a bottle of nice wine a couple of days later with a nice card of thanks.
BigWallop wrote:

Well I was chatting to him a bit today, and he mentioned 150 for a grandaughters course books for school/uni. He said it twice. Maybe it was a hint. Then he was saying about some new glasses, and how much they cost. I hope that wasn't a hint too.
I think I'll do what you said and make sure his materials bit is extra. I wouldn't my paint doors for 100. So maybe 120, plus 25 for materials, and a bit for fuel, and food and and
GULP
:-)
I'd give him a nice card&vodka anyway I think. He's a really nice chap :-)
< snip >

Might be worth sorting this before doing the job :-)
Martin wrote:

lol very good :-)
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:42:56 GMT, "Vdkjll"

I've used these twice http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/release_000/site_terms.htm
17.50 per pair No complaints up to now
AlanG wrote:

I'll pass this on to someone needing just that info in another group
1 hour per door? Rub down, undercoat, top coat!! Who is dreaming?
Not less than 2 1/2 for a half decent job. 10 per hour for someone most likely on benifits/invalidity. No tax. No NI. He should bite your hand off.

brushes
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

Not me, I was in here asking for advice. Seems like you'd just finished dreaming, and got out of the wrong side of the bed though.

So that would be 5 hours for a decent job, on one door? I don't think it should take as long as that. These are standard cheapo 1960's semi not St Pauls Cathedral doors!

Some people are retired ;-)

Heliotrope Smith wrote:

I'd agree, a couple of hours at least.

As opposed to someone like me who earns his full time living doing this stuff, pays tax, NI, public liability insurance and all the other expenses of running a business - I'd want 20 an hour absolute minimum.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
The Medway Handyman wrote:

And you'd still expect the same when you've retired and dont work at quite as fast a pace?
Please don't bite, I'm only asking.
Vj
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:25:48 GMT, "Vdkjll"

The local pro rate to us is 12 per hour and he is good, and comes highly recommended. Don't know if he comes down as far as you, but the information may be useful.
EricP wrote:

Thanks Eric :-)

Well it was a ball park figure. A quick rub down with some glass paper or wire wool just as a key, 10 minutes ish. A splash of undercoat especially if using a roller half an hour ish plus the same for the top coat. Ok an hour and a half.
-- Malc
Vdkjll wrote:

So did this gay abandon quote you too much for the paint job ? bit harsh chucking her in the rubble ;-)
Martin wrote:

I don't think so, her dress sense was terrible :-)