hot water pressure

when I turn on the hot water taps the pressure goes down to a trickle after about 5-10 seconds (from full pressure when first turned on). the cold taps have normal pressure, its just the hot taps. a mate said that I need to change the valves in the taps but I'm thinking why would both the hot water taps go at the same time? they were installed years apart. there is a slight drip coming from the boiler but not enough to cause loss of pressure on this scale.
any ideas anyone?
It is a very simple process to change the tap washers so do that and then see what happens.

after
dragonboyrn wrote:

Every hot tap (I assume that you have more than one) or just one?
If all of them, depending on your system, you may have a stopcock installed between the cold water tank in the loft and the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. If that is /almost/ off - then you will get an initial burst of water that soon goes to a trickle.
The tank in the loft can pressurize the system when there is no demand - but as soon as there is demand, the pressure falls. So high pressure initially, then low pressure.
If it is a single tap, then it looks to be that tap that needs fixing! As a tap is not much more than a tube with a valve in it - changing the valve will probably do the trick. But have a look see - changing the washer would be cheaper.
If it is one of these quarter-turn ceramic jobbies, then you will need to replace the cartridge - if you can get one for your tap.
--
Sue

And if it is a Combi boiler, it may have a problem.

Assuming that you do not have a combi boiler, then I suggest you look in the loft or airing cupboard and check the HW tank. Is it full of water and when you press the lever valve down does it fill up quickly.
Adam