home security for mum

Hi,
I was doing a few home improvements fro my mum and have added a door chain she has 2 locks on the door and was wondering what else i could put on the door loll without her feeling like a prisoner? Shes very on edge as she had a bogus caller almost con her out of £10 :-(. she managed to slam the door quickly when she got suspicious of the person.
So I've got very annoyed at it and worried about other problems and tring to buff up her home security and looking for a little advice.
Cheers
Add pictures here
βœ–

As you imply, the more security stuff, the more nervous she may feel. But what about one of those spy hole thingies...?
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
βœ–

chain
the
door
tring
Good idea I'll add one to my pick up list.
Cheers Martin.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Contact your local crime prevention officer - not only will they have some good ideas but they'll keep an eye out for the scroat. TonyB
Add pictures here
βœ–
What about a video door entry gadget or a simple CCTV she can check on TV when callers arrive at door??
Add pictures here
βœ–

Going to go with a viewing hole as shes not very good with tv's/remotes but thanks for the idea.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Will do that first thing tommorow. Appreciated.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Lol, wtf is a scroat !! more Lol
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wish I had the same sort of faith. Until this government feels the need to increase the number of police officers I expect we'll get the usual response to this sort of thing - no staff.
Rob Graham
Add pictures here
βœ–

some
response
Perhaps Souls would be kind enough to let us know how he gets on? TonyB
Add pictures here
βœ–

Apologies for getting back to the thread a bit late.
Definitely be happy to let you all know how I got on. Well basically after going down to the police station and reporting it and getting the crime prevention officers details. Contacted him and he came around the same afternoon. Was quite helpful and nice to us gave us leaflets and adivce and asked to have a look around to help make suggestions like window locks etc. My mum has been a bit nervous since and been more cautious when she hears the door knock, its just sad that she jumps when the door knocks or phone rings now. I'm still pived off about what has happened I never thought something like this would happen its quite a nice area so I guess it can happen to anyone anywhere :-( I've done a few things added a chain to the door, put a viewing hole in the door and added some window locks to all the windows. I've tried no to go overkill.
Well hopefully this low life will get caught hopefully.
But as far as help from the police \\ crime prevention officer I can't grumble seemed adiquate to me.
Thanks again all and appreacite the help.
Add pictures here
βœ–
souls wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Every Crime Prevention Officer I have ever known has always provided a superb service. It is nice to hear that things have not changed. By the way, they provide a free service to anyone who is concerned about the security of their property, not just those who have been a victim of crime. So, if anyone else wants good quality security advice, just call the local CPO.
--
Howard Neil

Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob graham wrote:

It would be very unlikely that there would be no CPO. Most shortages occur among the lads and lasses on normal patrol duties. Even then there is a faster way of increasing the number of officers on the street. Just abolish the CPS and, along with it, the numerous forms that need to be filled in when a person is arrested. One arrest and that is one officer tied up for the rest of his tour of duty. Prior to the CPS, the form filling took from 30 minutes to one hour; then back on patrol.
--
Howard Neil

Add pictures here
βœ–

Whatever else you do, make sure that it will be possible for you to get into the premises if something happens and your Mum can't get to the door. Also, do not forget the windows. My Mum's place was burgled while she slept, the b**t**d got in through the bedroom window, Mum died a few weeks later. No proof but I believe the shock damaged her. The Police caught the perp and he did time which was good but it could not undo the crime.
Phian
Add pictures here
βœ–