groove in table

My grandson used a biro on a sheet of paper on my wooden coffee table. Unfortunatly he pressed so hard there is a small indent where the pen went, akthough the wood is not scratched. Anyway to raise this small groove back up ?

Thank you

Reply to
PaulT

I doubt it. I think you would need to sand down the rest of the table top and then stain the new surface. A professional furniture restore will advise further.

Reply to
Handy

I think I may leave it for a few years in case it happens again.

Reply to
PaulT

Steam is the only solution I know, but it might do more damage than it's curing.

You could try applying a bead of water to the spot instead and let it soak in to swell the wood.

Reply to
EricP

i would have said water too.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

I found this :-

Suggestions on "Removing" Dents in Wood by Bill Tindall, Don Henthorn, Stephen Shepherd and Rod Cole Bill Tindall: I use a soldering iron and a thick absorbent rag. Wet rag, apply rag to dent, apply soldering iron to rag and make steam, lots of steam. It will work so long as grain is not torn. It is quite rewarding to watch. What happens is that the steam softens (plasticizes) the cellulose in the wood. In this softened state the wood can relax back to its pre-dented state. Wait for it to dry before sanding.

Don Henthorn: A regular iron for ironing clothes will do also.

Stephen Shepherd in Utah: Use a smooth textured cloth or it may leave an imprint in the surface. Keep the moisture localized to the dent and apply heat only where necessary.

Rod Cole: I find that frequently, all you need to do is put a small amount of hot water on the ding, maybe a couple of times, but without the bother of an iron.

Bill Tindall: An advantage of the soldering iron, flat iron, or even edge bander is quicker drying after treatment. The wood is reasonably dry after steaming and it can be sanded in an hour or two. I gather a 1/4 inch thickness of soggy rag, apply rag and heat and leave the heat on till the rag is nearly dry. This leaves the wood nearly dry, and warm to enhance further drying. Wife's hair dryer get called on to finish drying when the rush is on. Of course the "rush" is probably where the dent came from to begin with.

. . . By Bill Tindall, Don Henthorn, Stephen Shepherd and Rod Cole

Reply to
Baz

Many thanks to you all

Reply to
PaulT

Sorry about this, I am not really having a dig at anyone in particular, but I am truly fascinated to learn as to why people give a link to a website in a posting and then copy and paste what it says on the website, chapter and verse.

Reply to
the_constructor

HiYa. The link is only a reference to where it came from. But the info need by the OP was posted. How many times have you found a link in an old post that is no longer valid? Baz

Reply to
baz