Biro on furniture :(

Hi

I'm not best pleased to have blue biro scrawled over some very nice pine furniture. How do I get it off?

I expect I might need to refinish the surface afterwards, and I havent really the least idea what the present finish is, apart from superb. Its a satiny smooth finish, only a little bit gloss... how could I work out how its finished?

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Wipe it with meths/white spirit?

Reply to
Rob Morley

try toothpaste and elbow grease

hth

Reply to
MiniEmma

"MiniEmma" wrote in news:cjpfo8$gg3$1 @hercules.btinternet.com:

maybe melamine sponge - now available here as Flash blocks

mike

Reply to
mike ring

There is a 'Stain Devil' specifically for biro ink; don't know what the solvent is but might work?

Has the biro indented the surface? If so, I'm told a steam iron should re-swell the compressed fibres and bring back the surface.

Well, would it be satin varnish then?! Why not buy a tin of your 'best guess', and then apply a complete experimental treatment to somewhere on the furniture that won't be seen?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Has the biro marked the wood. Pine is fairly soft. If so you'll have to strip it back and try applying a steam compress it should raise the depressed area. Then sand it and pick your finish

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

If the cause is still around, kill it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most blue biro fades under UV light.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Its a far higher standard of finish than I see with varnishes, so I'm doubtful. But really, I'm fairly clueless there.

Thanks to eveyone for the ideas, will get some products and try them.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Very bodily secretion.

No doubt, if you avoid putting your foot in it and put your back into it you can become quite handy and have the skills when you kneed them. Sorry couldn'y avoid a bit of ribbing :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

can't say i've ever secreted toothpaste :-s

;-)

Reply to
MiniEmma

I did consider that :/