Gas Smell

We have an inset gas hob which very recently has started smelling of gas from underneath, but only when it at least one of the burners is being used. My wife first noticed it when getting a tea towel out of the drawer directly underneath the hob. The hob has been in since new build (1992) so is it getting towards the end of it's life or some other problem? I cannot see it being a leak in the supply pipe as the smell is only there when the hob is in use.
TIA
John

used.
directly
it
I had noticed that they had'nt been turning as smoothly as they used too. I acquired a small tin of Gas cooker tap lubricant - stripped them down - cleaned them up and re-greased them the smell stopped and they went on for a few more years until we eventually got a new cooker when kitchen was re-fitted.
Hopefully your problem will be as easy to solve.

I recall BES had gas cock grease on special offer in the set of offer leaflets I got from them recently.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Mix a Fairy Liquid and water solution and brush this on the joints where possible. A bubble should form where the leak is.
Chris.
You can get an aerosol of gas leak detector to do this

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:52:00 +0000, John wrote:

Most modern inset hobs have the injectors sited underneath the burners at the bottom of a recess.
Firstly inspect that the burners are all working correctly and the metal recess castings that they sit in/on are in good order and not free from damage/corrosion/leaks.
If as you report that smell is only during operation it is likely to be down to one particular burner. The leak will probably be between the outlet of the gas tap and the inlet to the injector. Once identified which burner you can then simply not use that one until repaired - that will buy you some time.
How easy it is to dismantle the hob or otherwise I can't say. In general you are likely to find that you need to remove the whole unit from the worktop to make progress.
If the leak is at a joint a repair may be possible but if it is due to corrosion may be not.
It will depend on just what sort of quality band the unit is in as to what to do. Replacement may prove simpler and cheaper than repair if the part is expensive or requires a lot of work to track down.
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:52:00 +0000 (UTC), "John"

Hobs tend to leak either;
At the inlet elbow where the supply pipe joins the hob. Often this is becuase either a fibre washer has been used and it has shrunk and/or due to poor access to the fitting,it hasnt been tightened adequately
OR
The taps themselves are leaking/need greasing. Some modern hobs have the taps made of alloy. If these dry out then they leak badly and often need replacing as the metal material is too soft. Brass ones are better.
You dont need to be CORGI reg'd to do this job, only competent.
http://www.no2id.org /
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:52:00 +0000 (UTC), "John"

Forgot to mention that it may well be worth having it checked out anyway becuase although it may appear to be coming from the hob,it just might not be !
http://www.no2id.org /