Garden hose leak - on water meter !!!!

Page 1 of 2

Aaargh !!!!
Woke up yesterday morning and heard the sound of water out my back garden. My hoselock hose reel seemed to have 'popped' in the night and water was gushing all over the place !!!
I know - I should have turned it off at the tap.....
I watered the garden at about midnight so its started somewhere betweent then and 7am.
Problem is I'm on a water meter so who knows how much I've wasted !!! Anyone like to guess ?
paulfoel wrote:

If it was on full chuff then around 7000 litres @ 0.08p/litre. About 5.60
Si
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 09:34:51 +0100, "Mungo \\"Two Sheds\\" Toadfoot"

I think you've overlooked that 92.5% - well in my area - will also be charged as returned waste water !!!.. another 8.37 locally.
Andy
Andy Cap wrote:

Yeh. Think its 85% for me....
Andy Cap wrote:

Indeed I did. Well spotted that chap.
Si
Andy Cap wrote:

92.5%? Luxury. We dreamed of paying only 92.5%!
I pay 4 a month to Portsmouth (no hosepipe ban there!) to deliver water. I pay 11 a month to Southern to take it away again (and a bit of rain water, but not much)
rgds Alex.
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

So does that mean a standard tap dispenses 1000 lites per hour.
I dont think it would be 7000 lites. My garden wasnt that wet !!!!
paulfoel wrote:

16 litres a minute doesn't sound unreasonable. Go fill a bucket and see how long it takes.
Si
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Assuming you can still afford it :o)
Si
On 31 Jul,

pressure is usually higher at night, so add 50%.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

So how'd u work out the per lire price ?
paulfoel wrote:

I had a look on t'internet. It is open to variation but it's close enough.
Si
paulfoel wrote:

You want a guess? How about 2000 litres? 500? 6000? Depends whether it popped at 12:05 or 6:55, and what your water flow rate is (varies dramatically between areas).
You should be able to work out what the damage is... read your meter now, then compare that figure with what the *expected* meter reading should be: you first work out your average daily consumption by looking at old water bills which include *actual* not *guessed* readings, then add on the appropriate number of days consumption to the most recent reading you have. If you can calculate your average figure using readings taken at the same time of year, when your (hosepipe) usage patterns may be similar, then so much the better.
David

Even after doing all that (instead of something more worthwhile), you will still have to pay for it!!
HTH
John

Just be consoled by the fact that even some (London?) water companies are getting fined for not fixing their leaks.
Good reason for not having a meter!
--

Michael Chare

Michael Chare wrote:

Why?
I could leave my hose on regularly overnight and still pay less than before I had a meter.
MBQ

What's a garden hose?
Pete (Southern Water customer)
PM wrote:
<snip>

A hose is Southern's Xmas party fund generator (if they catch you).
Tim
Why would you be watering the garden at midnight? Is there a hose pipe ban in your area? If so please advise your name and address together with your water supply companies name and address so that I may do my good deed for today and report you.
| Aaargh !!!! | | Woke up yesterday morning and heard the sound of water out my back | garden. My hoselock hose reel seemed to have 'popped' in the night and | water was gushing all over the place !!! | | I know - I should have turned it off at the tap..... | | I watered the garden at about midnight so its started somewhere | betweent then and 7am. | | Problem is I'm on a water meter so who knows how much I've wasted !!! | Anyone like to guess ? |

Bit of an assumption there innit ?
He might water at night due to it being better for the plants than watering during sunlight, or might prefer the higher water pressure.
I assume you're so anal about a post on usenet because you're a Water Company shareholder ? or more probably 'cos you can't get it up ;)