Fitting Ikea Kitchen

I'm just about to order a kitchen from Ikea.

A few people have recommended that I should buy oversize worktops (deeper) and then leave gap at the back of carcass for plumbing etc.

Has anybody done this? and if so how do the units fix to the back wall?

thx

Reply to
Oddjob

I've done that - I fixed a baton about 4x2 to the wall so the top of the baton is online where the top of the cabinet would be, and screwed the back of the cabinet to the baton, rather than the wall. Once you fit the worktop and then screw the base unit to the worktop, the cabinet it unlikely to go anywhere. Obviously, you lose some floor space, but if not critical, then not a problem

Reply to
Tom Bradbury

So you gained an extra 2 inches! Is it really so critical?

What do you think is the major issue with using the Ikea base cabinets? plumbing space / electrical / gas connection / waste / wall not being straight??

Thanks for your input

Reply to
Oddjob

2 inches was all I wanted/needed - the best thing about IKEA base units is that they go straight back to the wall, so they are deep and you can loads of stuff in them. However, unlike the conventional B&Q type units, there is nowhere to run services except at a very low floor level.effectively under the cabinet behind the legs - however, the rear legs sit quite far back of the cabinet and I had problems with a waste pipe for the washing machine and the hot/cold pipes getting in the way of the legs so the cabinet would not sit against the wall. I therefore fitted the baton that meant I could put the cabinet 2 inches off the wall and the waste and water pipes could run behind the cabinet. The issue was not so much the hot/cold pipe but the waste pipe because it needed to be at an incline for the water to run to the drain. Running the pipe a long the floor was no good. The extra depth for the eventual work top meant that for the first time ever, my washing machine and dishwasher sat right under the work top, whereas wherever I've lived before, where the kitchen had been installed by somebody else, the white goods sat proud of the worktop.
Reply to
Tom Bradbury

If you are redoing the plumbing too, just make sure you run it at skirting level so it's under the cupboards.

You'd need a block of wood behind at each cupboard join where the wall fixing is, but I haven't done this.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel