External telephone wiring and ADSL

Page 3 of 3

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:37:20 +0100, RolYat

Any cheap wireless router will do this. Just ignore the WAN side of it. I'm using an old actiontec router for this purpose.

make sure that all connections are tight. Try not to make tight bends in the cable if a natural bend can be made. So don't hammer it in to corners.
Twisted pair cable can be any amount of pairs, and the best one to choose is up to you on price. If wiring as an extension from the master sockets, then you will need ringer wiring to the two new sockets as well as line wiring. Which means three wires instead of two. So it might be best to buy two master sockets from Screwfix or other, and wire the new extensions as direct line from the original master sockets.
For the ADSL, try to make the wiring in two of the pairs, and make the pairs the closest together in the bundle. So, if the red/white and blue/white are the closest together, then use both of these pairs. Wire them as if two individual pairs, but wire them to the same connections in the boxes, if you get my meaning. Don't separate the single wires of the pairs.
The telephone voice line can be left on one pair. So it depends on what you mean to do at the extension site, and if you want to wire as direct line from the master sockets (recommended), or as completely separate extensions with ringer wiring.
Search the web for "UK telephone wiring standard" for a few good hits on the subject.
spam.guard@_spam_guard.com ...

These are extensions, as in what is currently six foot away from the current master sockets via two cables. I want to run the same down one cable, over a greater distance ...... do I truly have to be *that* fussy?

You were doing well until the "red/white" pair...a wee brainfreeze? (orange/white Shirley?)

On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:40:03 +0100, RolYat

Indeed it is - but I'd be inclined to use only one pair per line (using terminals 2 and 5) and put master sockets at the end. On the ADSL line the ADSL filter will probably include a ringing capacitor anyway so a normal slave socket will probably be sufficient.
The reason for using only a single pair per line is that the single pair balanced line is quite immune to interference, adding the third ringing line makes it a bit more susceptible to noise/crosstalk.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

pbx, such as the BT Revelation which will take both lines into it, and give you 6 extensions to play with. Then you need only run one extension to the summerhouse, and 5 more to other parts of the house.
The fax detection stuff is kind of handy as well if one of those lines is predominatley used to recieve faxes on as it can redirect it to your fax machine without ringing the other extensions.
--
Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media

This has been an interesting thread and has demonstrated that the OP had choosen the right cable for the installation in mind and could possibly go down to a lesser number of wires, say just 2 pairs terminating into master sockets?
A small flaw is that eventually it might be desired to run a network back to the main house/building. If that were the case I seem to remember that there was equipment around that places a 'box' on each end of four core telephone cable to which CAT5 cable can be connected; are such pieces of equipment still arround? But there again I see there is now available a couple of plugs that can be plugged into the electricity supply to do the same thing. Is one method better than the other?
David Bradley

Well there was 100base-VG ethernet, which HP pushed as a technology to pass 100Mbit ethernet over Cat 3 (regular voice grade wiring) using 2 pairs, but it never caught on. Might find some old kit around, but no one makes it anymore.
--
Andrew Gabriel

     snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

oops, I mean 4 pairs...