external plumbing connections

Hi, I'm about to divert my mains water supply into an outbuilding and install a water purifier. I've exposed the water main (my side of the stopcock) and need to cut it and install a couple of 15mm elbows. As they will end up being reburied what joints would I be best using; soldered or compression?
Are you sure that the pipe you've dug up is copper? I've only ever seen iron pipe underground.
definitely 15mm copper. I've burnished it with wire wool to make sure

ISTR hearing somewhere that for underground use it's a different alloy, not quite the same as the copper used indoors. I think it's softer and easier to bend, comes as a roll instead of straight lengths. Same sizes though ,so the fittings are the same for both.
Steve
I'm unsure whether to use soldered joints or compression. I assume soldered joints will survive underground?

I would expect so, but then I'm not a plumber.
Steve
Don`t use normal internal (Table X) Copper tube externally, it won`t survive long. Make sure your using underground quality copper tube (i.e go to a plumbers merchant NOT B&Q to buy it).
Richard