Electricity Substations

Page 1 of 2

OK - sort of DIY...
We live fairly close to an electricity substation. It's housed in a building which is approximately single-garage-sized. The building is at the bottom of our 30ft garden - so we sleep perhaps 40ft away from it.
There have often been rumours of dangers to health due to close proximity to substations. But when I search, there is nothing concrete. I do notice, however, that our portable phone makes a weird buzzing noise, which ascends and descends about once a second. The base frequency (without it's 1Hz modulation) is, I guess, very similar to mains humm - i.e. about 50Hz.
I know that it could just be a crappy phone/power supply (BT Synergy 4500). And I've tried turning everything else in the house off. But in the back of my mind is the constant nagging doubt that it is some form of magnetic emission from the substation. From what I read, the electrical element cannot get through any building materials - just the magnetic waves.
How would I go about measuring such an emission?
Cheers
JW
"John Whitworth" wrote

go see a paranormal scare monger type person, they'll bring along their 'ghost and spirit meter' and convince you the magnetic energy waves picked up are really ghosts, so you can sleep easy that your merely possessed instead of being microwaved as you sleep :)

Hmmm - funny you should say that. Sometimes when I am trying to get to sleep, my brainwaves seem to be in overdrive. Nothing has been thrown off of the chest of drawers yet though!
message

The buzzing noise is a fact of life of Dect phones, they all to it to a greater or lesser degree.
There will also probably be some telemetry associated with the sub-station which may also be being picked up.
The transformer will likely be for local distribution from 3.3KV down to domestic levels so will realistically not radiate much, certainly not enough to fry your brain!
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

How much radiation does a dect phone emit?
Adam

A lot more than a sub station - but not enough to even consider worrying about!
Peter
wrote in message>> How much radiation does a dect phone emit?

True - but the DECT phone isn't going 24x7, surely?
JW
wrote in message

you obviousely havent met my missus then, she moans about the measely 6 hour battery life of the handsets

3.3kV is not a UK distribution voltage. The 230/400V is derived from the 11kV local distribution network.
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

Beg to differ. There was a transformer clearly marked 3.3KV near the bus-stop when I was at school - and it's still there to this day!
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

More likely 33kV, which is the next value up from 11kV.
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

This is shocking.
Mr Pounder

writes:

Ohm my god!!!
Mike

I think that's AMPle jokes for the time being, say WATT?
Oh FARADAY where people just answer the OP's question seriously!
JW

For gauss' sake, stop mho-ning and light-on up. Your series-ness has no resonance here. Perform a volte-face and induce smiles, or someone's going to socket to you.
--
Martin

:)
message

He need more resistance...
Mike

Agreed. But I couldn't induce enough to overcome the potential difference. So I switched to a quiescent current.
Hi You'll need a Gause meter This measures electro magnetic radiation IIR as for your fears these are along the same lines as people who live near high voltage overhead lines especially the Super grid 132KV feeds. TV programs have been dedicated to this and even Mythbusters featured a scenario. There are many opinions out there but I have grown up with people who like you have a Sub' in the back yard and they don't glow in the dark. As a sparky I know all coils of wire emit a magnetic field when electricity is passed through them.But I also know that this field in a transformer is used to induce electricity in another coil. This begs the question IF you can't get owt fer nowt what energy is left to radiate any surplice electromagnetic energy after the transformer has done its work? (same as can u get sunburned by standing in front of your microwave) Whilst I can relate to your concerns I think you are quite safe ,unless the transformer malfunctions and explodes.
CJ

OK - thanks CJ.
I guess that it really depends on how efficiently the transformer passes the energy from primary to secondary. It would be the undesirable 'losses' that are winging their way into us! :-/
JW