Combi Boiler problems

Some time ago I had a problem with my Vokera 24 so got a corgi engineer to come fix it, out of curiosity I enquired about the price to replace it and he told me he would have to do all the gas pipe-work from the front to the back of the house, due to the regulation size changes on pipework and so at that point decided it was beyond my means.

I have had another problem with the boiler and this time it has been condemned by both the british gas engineer and also his supervisor. They did quote a price to replace it but at the same time stated I could get the job done much cheaper by a private engineer at which point I mentioned the pipe sizes and they answered that it doesn't matter.

Now I'm confused, I think I would rather trust bg than the guy I had before due to a couple of mistakes he made but wondered if anyone can shed further light on it for me.

The present boiler has been in for 9/10 years and so would be whatever pipe sizes they used back then, so has it changed and is it compulsary? I have found a brand new boxed Vokera 28 and wondered if an engineer would be able to just slot it onto my present fittings, the handbook and all specification is shared by both models but am i just grasping at straws? would appreciate any advice.

thanks in advance

Reply to
Teac

Most new boilers need a 22mm gas feed pipe, it might be that your existing pipe is only 15mm, hence the need for the work

Reply to
avocado

I've had a look at the 'tap' that the gas board removed (when they 'capped' it) and it does measure 22mm one end and 15mm the other, I seem to remember the first man saying that he would have to lead all 22mm through the house under the floors or he could possibly lead it around the outside as it is a semi, but he would have to check....would that make sense? The pipe leading from the boiler is 22mm, the pipe from the wall 15mm. The confusing part is the fact that the gas board guys say it doesn't have to be done, the private guy said it was regulation.

Reply to
Teac

Get several quotes from independent local guys and see what they say about the pipe work.

Reply to
Davey