Cleaning/preventing algae from path & patio?

Use dilute Jeyes fluid sprayed onto the algae.

It works well for moss too. Don't mix it up too strong on tarmac, it can soften it. Just apply it with a watering can or garden sprayer.

Reply to
Rob Bashford

Hi,

I have a long path and patio which are covered in algae, they look awful and are slippery. I pressure-wash them fortnightly with ordinary detergent but the algae starts coming back within days. Does anyone know of either a home-made recipe for removing algae and preventing re-growth, or a commercial product that's available in one of the main DIY outlets (B&Q, Homebase, Focus, Wickes etc)? I don't mind cleaning it off once more as long as there is something I can put down to stop it returning.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
mentalguy2007

I think the commercial growers use a product called Abicide 82 for moss and so forth, algae is a different story, generally in very wet conditions like almost running water. If it realy is algae and not moss you might be able to kill it for once and for all with a dressing of powdered lime? depends on the eco system you are trying to destroy. Might be worth doing some googling, or asking the RHS at a local flower show.

You cant get Abicide in the likes of B&Q, but a good garden centre might be ale to get it. We last got some form a commercial garden supplier (Birkenhead, Wirral, but there must be others depending on where you live.

Or try

This link suggests that Abicide is what you want, but i cant vouch from experience with algae, it does work on moss though.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Ah...that MAY be why I got a huge red algal bloom (thought it was blood!)in the puddles on my sandstone after I brick acid-ed it..:-)

So it don't like alkali?

Bleach or caustic then. Lime will ruin the appearance..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't understand quite why the algae returns within days, but household bleach would work by killing the algae spores. There are specific algaecides from companies like Quadralene.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Jeyes fluid works for about two to three months depending on recurrence of dampness. Spray on with a watering can. Keep pets off it for 12 hours Paul

Reply to
peejos

I use a product called Dax Fungo.

It is expensive but superb and last about 12 months on my patio. It also does well on my garden furniture and keeps it clean for about the same length of time.

I have no connection with this company. Just a satisfied user.

Reply to
Merryterry

Hi, When I was at fish camp (remote fish processing village on the west coast of Canada) we found the wooden docks to be very slippery. The companies solution was to put salt down on the docks. That cured the algae from forming. You could try a small section to compare with the other solutions provided from other people. Salt is cheap but leaves a white film. I hope you find a satisfactory solution.

Reply to
Blink

Wouldn't salt eventually adversely affect the concrete?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman