Patio Cleaning

Hi there

I've just bought a Pressure Washer for car cleaning and also to clea the patio which is in a sorry state. I plugged it in for the firs time yesterday and had a go at a couple of slabs and the result wa amazing but......whilst getting rid of the moss and weeds that hav grown in the gaps between slabs, all of the gaps inbetween are now ver "empty" - there's no mortar inbetween them and it looks a bit odd. Should I be replacing the mortar - I really dont know what it actuall is - once the slabs have been blasted clean? And if so, what do use?? Grateful for good advice as usual

Ale

-- alexbartman

Reply to
alexbartman

I cleaned my patio last year for the very first time. Within a matter of months the moss and dirt was back just as bad and probably worse than ever. My feeling is it takes off a fine layer off the top of the slabs which allows dirt to penetrate into the unsealed slabs. I could be talking rubbish but the slabs are now definitely worse than when I first started. So if you do put mortar or sand between them be prepared to go through it all again in a few months.

S.

Reply to
Stuart Weir

I did mine last year and they're still fine so maybe it depends on the type of slab and the location.

You can get kiln dried sand for sweeping into the cracks.

Reply to
adder1969

Rake the gaps out to an inch depth. Go buy a bag of mortar mix from one of the sheds. When the ground is dry, dump the mortar mix on the slabs and spread out with a broom so it fills the grooves. lightly water with a can or leave for the rain to soak.

Reply to
EricP

Some tips here if you are going to do this:

- there are different colours of sand from different suppliers.

- do the job on a dry day and make sure that the slabs are all completely dry, otherwise you will get clumping of the sand and it doesn't trickle into the gaps properly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can use something like Geofix

or Wickes own label version
will resist washing out pretty well & stop weed growth.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Let it dry and then give it a coat with a anti-fungi anti-algae liquid, spray over using pressure washer pick up ... or via watering can, don't rinse let it soak in.

Makes a big difference to regrowth time.

Reply to
Osprey