Cleaning Marble Hearth

Anyone had any experience in bringing their marble hearth back to its original glory.
I have been given a marble hearth but although the silicon around the edges (where they had laminate flooring) came of easy there is a black mark in the middle from coke/coal.
I myself have a Parkray 1/11 fire so it will come into contact with coke dust again but would like to know how to get clean in the first place.
Cheers
Coop
Coop wrote:

Buy the right stuff,don't use proprioty brand cleaners as marble can be stained with some of them,it has to be a nuetral/opaque cleaner. http://www.limestonefires.com/cleaning.html