Central heating, radiators not working

Hi, My radiators down stairs are only luke warm yet the radiators up stairs are. I've checked the pump and it is hot with slight vibration, the hot water tanks pipe at the top and bottom are luke warm yet the middle pipe is hot, any suggestions?
Hi Emily You probably need to balance your radiators. What you need to do is turn the valves down on the upstairs rads which should allow the water to circulate properly. At the moment all the heat is going to the rads upstairs.

"Emily" wrote:

Several possibilities, the radiators need balancing, they need the air bleeding out, or the pipes/radiators downstairs are blocked with sludge. If the radiators were working fine last winter, and no one has touched the lock shield valves (the radiator valves that you don't use to turn them off and on) then air or sludge could be obstructing the circulation of water. We could give you a better answer if you tell us more. For example, has anyone turned the lock shield valves? Has the system ever worked properly?
Codswallop wrote:

Hi, the radiators worked fine last spring and the lock shield valves havn't been touched. thanks for advice
Emily wrote:

Is it microbore or proper pipes. I found that microbore in an older system can sludge up if the CH is not run over the summer (so can 15mm piping if you're unlucky like I was this summer). Drain the system a bit, Put some sludge cleaner into the system, run it for 2 - 4 hours with the CH thermostat right up then drain and refill, but remember to put some Fernox inhibitor in to stop further sludging.
--
Malc

"AFB Mr Tracey."

You don't say whether your rads are fitted with TRVs (Thermostatic Radiator Valves). If they are then the pins could be sticking (often happens with older TRVs over the summer). The problem is easy to fix - remove the 'head' of the TRV (there are various types of fixings from grub-screws requiring an allen key to sliding plastic collars that simply require the 'head' to be fully turned 'out' and the collar slid back). Once you have removed the head you will expose the pin sticking out of the valve. Grasp the pin with a pair of pliers and *gently* work it in and out to free it up.
Uno-Hoo!