Can you Bleed Unvented System Radiators?

Moved into a new house that has an unvented heating system and 2 of the upstairs radiators are cold at the top indicating that they need bleeding. Can I do this on this type of system? Only that our decorator frightened me as he didnt want to take the radiator of to decorate.

May be a stupid question, but I would rather find out before causing problems with my heating system.

Reply to
Steve Matrix

By "unvented" I assume you have a combi system?

If so bleeding is as simple as a conventional system, BUT with one proviso.

This is that you will be depressurising the system, perhaps below it's working pressure.

So the first thing is to go look at the boiler and see what the pressure reads on the dial. Best done cold and with the system working hot. Then make sure you know how to reinstate the pressure to recommended level.

Then go bleed the rads.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for your reply Eric.

We have a system where the mains cold water is fed directly to a hot water storage vessel (Megaflo CL170 Indirect) and a gas boiler in the garage.

I'll check the boiler this morning to see if there is a pressure reading.

Thank you for your help so far.

Reply to
Steve Matrix

Hi Eric,

The reading on the boiler is 0 bar. Does this mean I have lost pressure in the system?

Best regards,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Matrix

It means that you have no pressure in the system. It should not be working! (CH)

Reply to
EricP