Chemicalising an unvented system

Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow. Question is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a washin g liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a radiator. I was originally g oing to use a funnel & bit of hose, but the drain points are under the rads , so the hose isn't going to fully empty into the system that way, and coul dn't find a funnel that fits.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I use a bit of vinyl hose going into the hole left by removing one of the air vents in the highest top floor radiator (having drained the system just to the point there is a litre or so of air in that radiator). It is probably just over 12mm (?3/8" BSP) but other radiators may have a 1/2" BSP hole which hose pipe would go into. Funnels are cheap enough on ebay to make it not worth making up leaky adaptors to washing up liquid bottle, but the latter is a possibility.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Yup, you can take wither the bleed valve or the blanking plug out the top of a rad (having shut off its valves, and drained a litre of water out of it).

Of if there is a magnaclean or TF1 style filter, they can be isolated, drained, and then refilled with inhibitor.

Lastly you can also get aerosol cans of inhibitor with a hose and connector that lets you connect to the filling loop. They then force the inhibitor into the filling loop under pressure.

Reply to
John Rumm

The system will need to be drained down as we don't know which inhibitor is in there now, and I gather incompatibility can occur. I'll try the washing liquid bottle or a bit of hose & funnel. Don't really want to go & buy a 2 nd lot of inhibitor, and the magnaclean is too small to get the lot in.

Cheers

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Last time I looked you can buy concentrated stuff in an applicatior. Which as you said goes in a rad. Saves having to drain down so much to use normal strength inhibitor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My TF1 will take 0.5L at a time. So I simply isolate and drain it, then refill with inhibitor. The run the system again for a minute, and do it again.

However if you are draining down completely, then just lob it in a rad.

Reply to
John Rumm

s: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a wash ing liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a radiator. I was originally going to use a funnel & bit of hose, but the drain points are under the ra ds, so the hose isn't going to fully empty into the system that way, and co uldn't find a funnel that fits.

You can buy concentrate in a cartridge that goes in a silicon gunge applica tor "gun". It connects to a rad vent.

Reply to
harry

Screwfix sold a cleaner, inhibitor and applicator under their "No Nonsence" brand. Seems to be rebranded Flomasta. Filling is done through a radiator by either removing a blanking plug or the venting plug.

Tricky Dicky

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr