Any tips on removing dark stain/varnish off stair spindles/posts etc.???

As per subject. Trying to remove dark stain/varnish off stair posts and spindles and finding it extremely difficult! Have tried varnish/paint remover. Very messy and sort of does the job but so time consuming. Still leaves a fairly dark mark behind. Tried sanding with delta sander - again, very time consuming.
We want the wood to "look" a natural lighter colour. Would we be better off looking for stain/colour to simply paint over the top of what is already there?
Andy
http://www.thefunhouse.plus.com
Try a sample panel by dabbing with Mr Muscle oven cleaner. Regards, Tom

worth thinking about.