Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Changing colour of canvas - advice/help please
We've a pink awning covered in canvas which we'd like to re-colour to black. Yes, I know it'll probably turn green along the way, but does anyone know where I can get suitable paint? I've searched and...
6
6

Nets
Hi, My son has just has double glazing installed and the wooden frames windopws removed. The hooks for the net curtain screwed directly into the wooden frames. Do I drill and screwwinto the ali wondow...
6
6

Grouting old tiles
We have now completely uncovered the original 1929/30's tiles in the bathroom, they are white oblong, we have raked out most of the old paint between them, taking the grey grout with it, do we have to...

Misted double glazed panel
Hi I've got a double glazed front door panel that has misted. many sites i've visited recommend replacing the panel, fine if it was plain glass but this panel has a decorative glass feature, is it not...
5
5

flow of central heating pump
i'm getting the bits together to fuel my motorhome on biodiesel, will get a 600 litre ibc tank to sit at the back of the garage to store the fuel in, and need to be able to transfer the fuel from it...
3
3

Sky
Hi Folks I have been asked by an old pal if I can get hold of a new Sky viewing card for him He says "I?ve got this Sky Sat-receiver telling me I need to replace my viewing card (free channels) or...
3
3

beko glacier electricals
If you buy any washing machines or other appliances with the Beko Glacier label be aware that they don't stock many parts in the UK. Spare parts come from Turkey and often take up to a month for...
2
2

Changing kitchen doorway into breakfast bar (partition walls)
Hi, I'm getting pressure from the missus to extend the kitchen doorway into a breakfast bar. Not sure whether this will mean making one big space, or cutting a bar area out to the left of the door...

indoor (living room / bedroom) energy efficient lighting that looks good - where to buy?
Hi, does anyone know any stockists of energy efficient lighting that looks modern and slick? Everywhere I look has nice looking halogens but the lighting that uses energy efficient bulbs is pretty...

weird walls
So the paint in my bathroom is peeling off in big 3 inch curls. I had intended to scrape the paint, sand it, prime it, paint it; easy. And then I looked close up. Everywhere the paint had peeled there...
1
1

Architrave and Door Linings
Firstly, is 'architrave' the correct term for the ornate part that goes around the door frame? Secondly, having put up a stud wall, and then fitted the door, I notice that: a) the door lining extends...
22
22

Re: checklist
I wonder who is still waiting for this attachment :-) ...and does 'one' talk about clients who need to be spoon fed! Peter

Leadless Solder Fittings
2 questions please for all the plumbers out there. 1/ What are the pros and cons of using plastic barrier pipe for internal heating and H&C water? 2/ Do the water authorities allow the use of leadless...
3
3

3 pin B C Bulbs
Where can I get an adapter to put a 2 pin B.C bulb into these Memlite 3 pin holders Thank You
12
12

Baxi Valour Gas Fire Bolero 941
My mother had a fire installed August 2007. Early in 2008 it wouldn't light so a Baxi engineer came out and knew exactly what the problem was, ie soot clogging the inlet pipe. Removing the 'coals' to...
5
5