weird walls

So the paint in my bathroom is peeling off in big 3 inch curls. I had intended to scrape the paint, sand it, prime it, paint it; easy.

And then I looked close up.

Everywhere the paint had peeled there is nothing but a soft, chalky, pinkish substance. Is this drywall? It's obviously not plaster, and every image of drywall I found online was a more fiberous brown color. I am at a total loss. How do I proceed?

The house is a SoCal track home built somewhere between 1988-1992, if that helps. I am handy, but not experienced in home repairs- just painting and installing the occasional shelf and I would greatly appreciate any information! Thanks!

Reply to
JoJo26

I had a bathroom ceiling that did that. Shock-horror-despair! Also puzzlement since it was new plasterboard when I first painted it, did all the right things because bathrooms have a lot to contend with, steam and splashes. To fix it up after I had peeled off the readily flaking, peeling paint and rubbed the rest over with sandpaper, I used oil-based sealer-undercoat with Penetrol and it grabbed like crazy. Penetrol makes it grab right into the pores of rusty or porous surfaces. EB is recommended for exterior use, don't know why not interior.

"Take the Flood Adhesion Tape Test: This chalky, dusty surface was painted with a coat of acrylic paint. An unconditioned paint was used on the right, while the left was painted with an acrylic mixed with Flood E-B Emulsa Bond. After the paint had dried, a strip of masking tape was applied to the surface. The unconditioned paint pulled off with the tape. With E-B, the tape pulls off, but not the paint."

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P