1980s detached bungalow house

My house is 1980s built, thin plaster walls, and brown carpets.

I got a couple of large holes in some walls. Some rooms wall paper are falling off because of condensation. My family wants to glue the loose wall paper back on, and then paint over the wall paper. I thought about stripping all wall paper off and painting directly onto the plaster.

What's the best way about doing up the home? Is painting onto the plaster okay? We're no home DIY professionals. Who should be sought out for?

Reply to
Andrew Wan

Thin plaster or dry wall? Dry wall is easy to repair.

No, No, No ... do not paint over loose wallpaper!

First ... do you have a leaking roof?

Second ... why is there condensation?

Third ... do you want to fix this right? If so, post more information.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Regarding the large holes, repair will depend on what the walls are made of. Are they made of plasterboard? Plasterboard sounds hollow when you tap it with a knuckle, and you will be able to see concrete blocks or bricks through the holes. It will look awful if you glue loose wallpaper back on and then paint over the wallpaper. Your idea of removing the wallpaper and painting the plaster will give a better finish, and is what a decorator would do. Regarding condensation, for advice on damp:

DIY