The real housing crisis is one of quantity

Page 2 of 4

It's called "supply and demand" - the supply of workable LAND is restricted and even diminishing, while the DEMAND increases. The rules may be to alleviate "sprawl" or just to protect certain insects, rodents, etc. In this case the S&D curve is artificially contrived and the developers have nothing to do with it.
Matt

Developers support smart growth because they can put more housing on less land and charge more too.

Developers don't set the price, the market does. Econ 101 - learn it.

ask government to change the zoning so they can make money by doing nothing but by playing politics.

Eco 101 teaches you theoretical models.....you need more advanced courses to approach reality.
In reality theoretical supply-demand markets never occur.

Eco 101 assumes free markets too. Smart Growth prides itself on manipulated markets for social goals, and this raises the price of land and housing.

No, it does not. Free market theory derives from S&D (the best way to meet objective under the reality of limited resources.

"Smart Growth", as used, is an oxymoron.

Technically it means any growth sactioned by planners, following goals set by the APA.

You've got it completely inverted.

Excuse me?

Theoretical Eco 101 supply-demand curves require perfect knowledge by buyers and sellers.
That NEVER happens in the real world. Never.

No, it doesn't, except in Keynesian economics.

"Perfect knowledge" isn't necessary, which is why Keynes was a sham.

Republican Reagan was a Keynesian. Republican jr is a Keynesian.

So?
"We are all Keynesians now" - Richard Nixon.
Did you know that Keynes had ONE SEMESTER of economics in his entire school career?
If you can't stick to the topic and keep throwing "streams of consciousness", there's no point in further discussion.
On Mon, 05 May 2008 14:18:17 -0700, Matt W. Barrow wrote:

These claims make no sense. Please attempt to advise us how "rules that limit sprawl" would drive up the price of housing. Housing is the house and it is the only part that has "replacement cost". The land does not have "replacement" costs. The claim seems bogus. And BTW, the limiting of sprawl decreases the fuel costs. If you were "forced" to buy a home closer to your place of work due to the "sprawl laws" then you should probably be smiling right now.
We need MUCH BETTER condos and apartments where you cannot hear your next door neighbor no matter how hard you try.
--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and

Less land available means fewer houses capable of being built = less supply during a static or increasing demand.
Odd that shold need to be pointed out to someone outside elemantary school (Oh, I forgot, they don;t have time for that in public schools as they're so busy teaching environmental hysteria and leftist economics/public policy).

If I was forced to do any such thing, I'd smash the thugs face in with a baseball bat.

Well, get busy building them...or is it easier to just shoot your stupid mouth off?
On Mon, 05 May 2008 22:19:10 -0700, Matt W. Barrow wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! The natural supply of land is not any deterrent to the construction of housing. But land rent _IS_.

The "cost" of land is referred to as "land rent" and it normally must be pointed out to those who are unable to spell "elementary". Most of the land rent in the USA today is a function of proximity to jobs and desired goods. This would imply to most rational human beings that the spacial aspects of lots (the lot is too small for the house) are the least of the problem. The price of gasoline will have reduced the market value (cost in rent) of residential land and in the countryside while elevating the value of residential land (the cost of land use) in or closer to the centers of population.

A poor choice of words on my part. Let us say "encouraged" by your own desire to maximize utility.

At present the construction of more housing is not warranted but in very unique situations. The title of this thread is just plain erroneous. The trade price of homes is not going down because of a supply problem. Most rational persons are able to understand that axiomatic principle.
--
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers
of society but the people themselves; and

Population concentration is a result of social policy, not any "natural" law.

You apparently have zero comprehension of what "land rent" refers to.

Nope.
He's badly misusing the term "land rent", almost as if he doesn't have a clue as to what it means. Typical statist.

I am not sure what land rent meant, but I did comment on the fact that populations are concentrating is the result of social policy, such as Smart Growth, which encourages increasing density using such terms as "infill."
On Tue, 06 May 2008 13:52:42 -0700, Matt W. Barrow wrote:

I am well aware of what land rent is. I have written quite a bit on the subject here and in various other forums. I wonder why you would think that someone is a "statist" because they are aware of land rent. Could it be that you are a typical Republican rightard?