roofing

Considering using Ice and Water shield on the entire roof of my house in Fla. Is this advisable? Roof is ventilated well. Is it worth putting the membrane on in regards to possible hurricane damage to shingles? Thanks for replys.
Ice and water shield is a great product. If the roof is ventilated then why should there be a problem. The attachment to the roof would only be a concern, and yes, Ice and water shield does have a sticky side and when it gets hot it sticks. I know that sometimes when I have applied it, it did not "stick" right away and maybe because of the low temperature when I was doing it.
If it is sticking right away, putting it on is and "art". I would leave the plastic wrapping on it, and roll out the product with the plastic on the roof. With one top corner stapled you can sneak the plastic barrier out and the product sticks well without problem. Hard to describe......I have used it extensively........ jloomisconstruction.com
"Brenda Rathburn" wrote in message
Considering using Ice and Water shield on the entire roof of my house in Fla. Is this advisable? Roof is ventilated well. Is it worth putting the membrane on in regards to possible hurricane damage to shingles? Thanks for replys.

It's a risk vs. reward thing, so it's hard to tell for sure. The stuff would definitely stay stuck to the roof sheathing even if the shingles got blown off...but then it's a question of whether the sheathing would stay on! The membrane would give some additional peace of mind, but whether the cost is worth it for a roof with hurricane-rated shingles attached correctly is a tough call.
Brenda Rathburn wrote:

I would check and see what the experiences have been for re-roofing roofs that have had the shield put on 10 or 15 years ago.
It's my impression that roofers think that taking off old shingles will be harder to do if there's a layer of the ice guard on underneath, with a possibility that you might just take a lot of your decking off with it.
I can't think of any reason that it would make your house or roof more survivable during a hurricane if it has that shield under it.
Being in florida, I'd think that you'd be looking into something other than shingles anyways for a roof. Metal roof maybe.