Removing post in two car garage

There is a post in our two car garage and I find it is a problem when getting in and our of cars. For me it is a nuisance. Is there anything I can do to remove it? What is involved?
On Aug 5, 11:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Spending a fair bit of money to install a larger beam and possibly reinforcing the foundation and supports at either end of the beam. Another possibility is to calculate if the post can be relocated to a position that interferes less with the car doors. It's still a fair bit of work as a new footing has to be cut in through the slab and most likely the post will only be able to moved a short distance away. Still, it's another possibility.
Back the car in.

on 8/5/2007 11:04 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

The post (lally column?) is there because the architect who designed the house said it is needed because of the size and type of the girder that the post supports. Removing the post may cause the girder to fail, or at least sag. You should have an architect look at it and recommend any changes needed, or if it can be done at all. More than likely it would require the installation of a more stronger girder for the span.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY