Problem with Painter - Repost

This is a repost..

-------------------------------------

Here is the situation. We hired a professional painting contractor. We have a 1920's stucco bungalow in CA. The painter gave us an estimate. We accepted his bid. Not the cheapest, but not the highest. Some background information: we bought the house 4 years ago from flippers. What we discovered after the painter started powerwashing was that whoever painted the house when it was flipped applied a polymer paint without a primer. So the house is completely spotty with paint chipping off everywhere. The painter is beside himself because he says his guys can't scrape the entire house by hand. We have had them scrape as much as they can (especially attacking the areas where the paint is practically falling off). The painter now wants to revise his original estimate. My question is twofold: who aborbs this cost? The painter or us or both? Should he have foreseen this problem? And, what can be done to repair this short of sandblasting or applying a stripping gel to the entire house? Thanks for any help/advice.

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 14108 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
customer

I believe you and the painter should split the cost.

It couldn't be foreseen.

That said, an experienced should have had a clause in the agreement covering hidden things

"customer" wrote in message news:Zf3kk.637$ snipped-for-privacy@textfe.usenetserver.com...

Reply to
Glenn