[OT] driveline stuck on tractor pto shaft

The equipment groups all seem to have died or I wouldn't post this here. Anybody run into this before? The drive line to my mower is stuck on the tractor's pto output shaft and won't come off. It's been tough to wiggle free before, but never this bad. I've hammered on it and pried until I fear for the u-joints. It's soaked with wd-40. The spring pin works easy, but the splines seem welded with grit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Boat_dreams

Reply to
Boat_dreams

I've worn out my rawhide mallet so I quit hammering on the pto coupling after the first couple of weeks. Now, everytime I finish mowing I squirt some more WD40 into the coupling--just on the off chance something organic in the grit might dissolve or something inorganic might shift with the bit more lubrication. Since the driveway's getting real bumpy, I tried the coupling one more time--just on the off chance. Voila! It practically fell off. Serendipity or ? Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Boat_dreams.

Reply to
Boat_dreams

***Please do not top post, especially if you use a signature! It screws up the reply capabilities and quoting. ***

Now, to the OP's problem.

  1. WD-40 is worthless except to remove adhesive from stuff (where the adhesive peels off the tape for example) and for water displacement. WD stands for "Water Displacer". WD-40 is NOT A LUBRICANT, nor is it a penitrating oil. Never was, never will be.
  2. The stuff I use is called Kroil. In a spray can usuallyi called AeroKroil. Very good stuff, designed and made for this task.
  3. You can make your own penitrating oil, too... I use frequently a
50/50 mix of diesel and ATF. Mix well. The diesel and ATF both have lubricating qualities, both penitrate well.
  1. Get a 'dead blow' hammer.
Reply to
PeterD

Now that you have it off, I would be VERY generous with a NeverSeez product for next time:

DanG