Home inspection Courses in California?

My son recently told me that he was planning on taking a Home inspection course, his amount of construction amounts to a couple of months working for a roofing contracter setting shingles on the roof. Is it really that easy to get to be a home inspector?? He also mentioned that it was to cost about $10,000 for the course. Isn't this the same amount for a PHD in something. I keep smelling "Rip

Off!!" Is there any good places in California to take this kind of course?

Reply to
bdeditch

There must be a state licensing board for both inspectors and inspector schools. Check out course content and costs from various licensed schools. A good / useful home inspector should have building experience and problem solving ability. Since an inspector can report on only what he can see, one has to know what might cause the visible condition. However, I looked through several books on how to be a home inspector. The content was common sense. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Before he drops ten grand on a school, have him take the Home Inspection Institute Demo Test to see what he currently knows. Then start looking for a school.

Reply to
PPS

My assessment based on one course in TX. One can pass the course, pass the test provided by TX, and be granted a license to be a home inspector. The test is all memorization. In the real world, to be a home inspector, you have to be familiar with a home from the ground its built on to the roof over it, and everything inbetween. Assuming the course and the state test is good to go and granted the license, the hard part is yet to come. This consists of opening a private business, gaining clients, and pleasing those clients based on the knowledge and expertise gained. A "bookworm" knowledge don't cut it. The old way was for a licensed inspector to take a prospective trainee under his wing, after 2 or 3 years, the trainee would start studying for the local state test if the inspector felt he was ready at that point. This became too associative and familiarity of the person providing the training, if you get my point. But had it benefits of real life hands on training of real life inspections over a long period of time.

Reply to
Jonny