Hanging a sign

Page 1 of 2
The boss wants a sign hung above the front door.
He had a sign made at a sign shop -- 3 ft. x 6 ft. -- made from 3/8 inch poly-something pliable plastic with vinyl (I think) lettering. In any case, it's guaranteed for outdoor duty.
My question is regarding mounting. The simplest technique would be to simply locate and level the sign and put Liquid Nails on the wall (tilt-up concrete building with stucco texture) and slap on the sign and secure it while the LN sets.
Any suggestions, observations, constructive criticism?
Thanks, Sparky
3M double stick tape. I can't remember the letters, something like HDEP.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

The double-sided tape was used on the back of the sign to which we mounted the wood. This allowed us to "hang" the sign from the already- attached-stand-offs temporarily.
SparkyGuy wrote:

Just make sure you can legally hang the sign in the area where your shop is.
I did a friend a favor a few years ago by helping him hang a sign on the side of his building and up came a city inspector was not happy with us because my friend did not pull a permit. :-(
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Good point. I'll mention it to the Boss.
Sparky

If it is an area where freezing happens, make sure that ice can't push the sign off the wall after a few years!

I don't like the construction adhesive idea because sooner or later that sign is coming back down. It'll stick too well to the wall and not well enough to the plastic. Maybe sooner than later when you realize it's 1/16" out of square. How about some furring strips lagged to the wall, with the sign screwed to them?

I put up a bathroom mirror with the LN specified for mirrors and I think I couldn't pull that off without some damage...

My first thought. But he nixed that because the furring or screws may be visible (it's about 10 ft from the ground looking straight up from the front door).
Yes he's particular. That's why he's called the boss...
Sparky

Was your wall made out of stucco, like in this case?
And what makes you think it doesn't count if there is damage to the wall when the sign falls off?

Tell him the furring won't be visible and that the screws are there to hold the sign on.
I actually don't know how to do this, but I can still just your answers and they seem like those of someone who has made up his mind and isn't really considering the problems or alternatives, despite having asked for help.

N. California. Never seen freezing. A few frosts, but it doesn't snow here or freeze regularly.
Sparky
SparkyGuy wrote:

California? Oh my.
You can count on a permit being required, erection by certified, bonded, insured, and annointed sign erectors, such sign being constructed of non-carcinogenic, enviro-friendly, and bio-degradable material. Further, the sign will probably have to be certified as not being within 1000' of a school, church, park, library, public building, or car wash.
What provisions have you made (such as netting) to prevent injury by falling letters?
Then, too, there is the annual license.

The environmental impact study could cost millions alone.
Steve

With the risk that if there is water on the restroom floor it will be declared a protected wetlands area, and the entire project, if not the whole building, will be at risk!

I wonder what the EPA would pay in bounty .......
Meet me at the corner where the old red barn used to be. Just pull up and flash your lights, and I will come out of the woods, and we'll go to the secret place and discuss this.
Mebbe now, I'll have the money to get my truck painted .........
Steve ;-)

California's easy.
All you need is a can of spray paint and a blank wall.......

So, does it snow or freeze irregularly? How many times does it have to freeze to cause the sign to fall down?

First question is: Do you care if it falls down?
If that is an issue, I would mount it with screws, bolts with standoffs, or some other mechanical means.
Being exterior, the heat, wind, sun, cold, freeze and thaw cycles, and Murphy's law make it questionable.
That's a heavy piece of signage that could hurt someone. Do it right, because if it falls down, you got legal problems, son.
Just MHO. Do it once, do it right.
Steve
I think polurethane adhesive and some Tapcons would probably do the job.
Next year when the boss wants the sign changed, you're gonna be in a world of hurt.
Use some kind of screws and anchors.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.