Framing Recessed Electrical Panel

Hello,

I'm moving our electrical meter/panel, and burying the service.

The new combo-box is semi-flush. UG conduit will be in the stud cavity.

Slab foundation. 16" OC studs. Exterior is stucco. Interior is open. (Wall is an exterior garage wall.)

I'm going to cut a hole in the stucco, and mount the panel to the studs. The bottom plate in that stud space will be removed, and the foundation cut-away.

Since there is no longer a bottom plate, do I need to add additional framing? For example, if this were a door, I'd obviously put king studs, a header, and cripples. But, is the same thing done in this situation?

Thanks.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

No.

Reply to
Glenn

If the bottom of the cavity is open to the floor cavity, yes you need to fireblock the cavity. If it's open to the garage, yes. If the cavity is sealed, probably OK to leave it out (difficult to tell by your description.)

Reply to
PPS

All I need to do is drive new bolts, since I'm cutting that area away?

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

That should help.

The question (worded differently)...

Because the bottom plate is being removed between studs 3 and 4... Do I need king studs to the left of 3, and the right of 4? Do 3 and 4 become trimmer studs with a header above the combo panel?

Thanks.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

Eric

No. You don't need to fill in the bottom except to keep the bugs out. the reason for the everything around the door is to distribute the weight down to the foundation. From your description, you're already at the foundation. Some fire blocking wound be prudent.

Another option is to call the electric company and ask to talk to the field engineer. If you're nice to them, you might be able to get them to come to your house and walk you through exactly what you need to do. You don't wanna get this wrong. If you screw it up and the electric company has to inspect or change your meter and the wall isn't right, they have the ability to fine you.

Reply to
LightsAREon

Ok, that's what I've gathered. Thanks for confirming.

Here's a photo, if you're interested:

My Edison inspector has been out multiple times during this process. (70' trench that is 6' at one point because of a grade change.) She's great, and would probably come out, but I don't want to bother her unless I really need to.

fwiw... Her main concerns are (a) that the conduit is at depth, and (b) that the bends are minimized for her crew.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill