Framing Recessed Electrical Panel

Hello,

I'm moving our electrical meter/panel, and burying the service.

The new combo-box is semi-flush. UG conduit will be in the stud cavity.

Slab foundation. 16" OC studs. Exterior is stucco. Interior is open. (Wall is an exterior garage wall.)

I'm going to cut a hole in the stucco, and mount the panel to the studs. The bottom plate in that stud space will be removed, and the foundation cut-away.

Since there is no longer a bottom plate, do I need to add additional framing? For example, if this were a door, I'd obviously put king studs, a header, and cripples. But, is the same thing done in this situation?

Thanks.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

This should help...

E. Hill

Removing a single section of bottom plate between two studs doesn't create any issue with loads from above.

It does create a potental "hinge" point for wind or seismic loads. I'd add wedge anchors or the like through the bottom plate into the slab in the two stud bays on either side of the piece you remove, if there aren't already anchor bolts there.

If you're in a seismic area, that may not be enough; check with an engineer.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin