Fein tools?

Page 1 of 2
I see many paid promotional infomercials on late-night TV touting the MultiMaster power tool by Fein.
I'm always highly skeptical of anything advertised so ubiquitously, but that aside, I'd never heard of Fein.
What's their reputation among power tool-using pros? What is their quality & reputation (ie, service, etc.)? Not necessarily re. the MultiMaster (but if you own one feel free to join in) -- what's Fein known for?
Thanks.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t &649&highlightώin
Add pictures here
βœ–

Where have you been, Sparky? The Fein And Copy topic comes up here at least once a month. Hit the archives. In general, the Fein is well loved but some of the knock-offs are well made also.
Add pictures here
βœ–
SparkyGuy wrote:

If I recall, Fein didn't start advertising their tool until shortly before their patent ran out last year. Until then, they relied - I guess - mostly on word-of-mouth. For what it does, the Multi Master is a superb tool and (again for what it does) no other tool comes close.
That's why I got the Harbor Freight model (at $39.99), roughly one-tenth the price of the Fein. Other companies now make similar tools: Dremel, Bosch, Rockwell, etc., and most of the bits are interchangable between them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Consider there is:
1. A reason why you've never heard of them, and 2. A reason they have to advertise and sell that way.
Question answered?
Add pictures here
βœ–

No, not really. Have you ever had your hands on a Multimaster? It sounds like you're giving an opinion based on conjecture.
Fein's Multimaster is an excellent tool. Fein's reputation is excellent - they make no crap tools. As far as never hearing of Fein, plenty of people have never heard of Festool - doesn't mean their tools are junk. Why a company decides to sell through infomercials is a corporate decision. I'm guessing direct sales puts more coinage in their coffers instead of their distributors.
βœ–
PeterD wrote:

Good points - but there are exceptions. For example, what company do you think of when hearing the word "chocolate?"
Then think of when was the last time you saw an advertisement (print, TV, radio, whatever) for Hershey's.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't think Hershey sells using infomercials, however.
Regardless, I was perhaps overharsh on Fein. They are not common in the US. Whether they are as good as they say they are, I don't know. I've had people tell me that tools that I know are crap they think of as very good. And, as well, there are tools that I really like, and have had very good results from, that others say are terrible!
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you check places that cater to professionals and "serious hobbyists", you'll find Fein Tools. I get mine from well known supplier of boat building supplies, Jamestown Distributors, in Rhode Island.
Find out where furniture and cabinet makers, or any woodworkers buy tools and supplies and you'll find Fein there as well.
They are not "common" because until now, they were only known in the trades, where they are well regarded. The infomercioals, etc, are just an attempt to find more customers outside what has been their normal territory.
I don't know too many brand names for dentist drills, either.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Why would you bad mouth a tool or company you have not used or know anything about?
Fein, Metabo, Elu, LaMello, and Festool are high end stuff you will probably only find at a commercial or specialty tool house. I'm sure there are others that I have not used. I would certainly not denigrate a brand I don't know without some point of reference.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

But that's the joy (and advantage) of USENET: badmouthing in public on a topic that would get you slammed if done face-to-face with your friends or co-workers. No responsibility.
Add pictures here
βœ–

IIRC, my response was that if they were marketing using infomercials I'd be reluctant to consider them. At least that was what I was saying.
Then, after reading some more comments, I retracted that.
That is the joy of Usenet: you can critize me by selectively taking my comments that you don't like, and ignoring the ones you do.
Anyway for both of you, I'll keep my eyes open for a Fein tool, and if I see one I'll look it over carefully. Maybe I'll even buy it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
PeterD wrote:

Again, an almost-equivalent tool is available from Harbor Freight for forty bucks. I suggest you consider giving the cheaper model a try and, if you find that it is of significant help in the projects you encounter, then consider springing for the $300 model from Fein.
Add pictures here
βœ–

<g> No, it is not functionality that I questioned... It is the factthat a manufacturer would resort to infomercials to sell their product! (If it is not clear yet, I'm not a big fan of infomercials!)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why? Fein has a strong presense in the speciality and professional lines of distribution. It would take a lot more money and time to establish a presence in mass merchants. Especially in a tight economy, when big box stores are probably not in the mood to start promoting and merchandising something new. This was an easy and fast way to get directly to the consumer without adding a big debt load to the company during tight times.
I think it is a smart move on their part. If they sell respectable numbers via infomercials, it will give them a foot in the door with Home Depot, Lowes and other big box stores.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:55:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Generally because virtually all products featured in infomercials are substandard, over priced, imported bits of junk.

That may be true, but being carried by HD and Lowes may not be a great thing... Both chains have a reputation for draging products down to their (WalMart like) level, not for building themselves to a higher quality.
One only has to look as far as GM to see that it is not a simple sell to the masses world! GM has, over the years (and Ford and Chrysler, too) managed to screw up some great things in their push to take a quality, low market product and make a big market product out of it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What is it called? I looked but couldn't find anything similar to Master$$$.
Gary
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 3/26/2009 10:22 AM (ET) Abby wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

How many windshields will that POS cut out?
Add pictures here
βœ–
on 3/30/2009 2:54 AM (ET) Ron wrote the following:

I don't know. I've never used any tool to cut out a windshield nor plan to do so. I'll take it to an auto glass shop if I need to cut out a windshield. Anyway, I was just pointing out the location of the HF tool for someone who was looking for it at HF. Apparently, it has been removed from the HF site, so it is a moot subject.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY