Cost of roofing comparison

Hi, my house needs to be re-roofed. I've called two local roofing companies for a quote and Sears and Home Depot.

Both local roofing companies have quoted 6K. Sears and Home Depot come in at 12K.

I have compared all four quotes and on paper they are for the same service and the same quality of asphalt shingles.

Besides having the Home Depot or Sears name behind the roof is the price difference all just profit for these two companies?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
alex

Craig M

Wow... Consedering that neither Sears nor Home Depot are considered 'quality' names around here, that is an interesting situation.

Take the two independant quotes, and look at a few jobs they did a couple of years ago. Talk to the customers and ask how they liked the work and the contractor. Talk to the BBS.

Skip Sears and HD.

Reply to
PeterD

The HD name should bring peace of mind, but that's rarely the case. Google the construction and home repair newsgroups to see what people have to say about Home Depot being in the installation business. It ain't good. There's no reason to go with Home Depot.

I am not familiar with Sears installations, but double the price for the same installation is daft.

If your local roofing companies have been in business for a long time, their references and consumer affairs/BBB histories check out, there's little reason not to use them.

When you ask for references also ask for some from several years ago.

RicodJour

The way people talk on these newsgroups, you'd think that contractors are running around buying yachts to park at their villas on the caribean. Fact is, there is darn little profit in most residential work. Home Depot and Sears are adding "pure profit", similar to car dealerships, grocery stores, dentists, hardware stores, clothing stores, etc. etc. Hire the independent guy to save a buck.

Reply to
marson

Hi,

All quotes include stripping the roof of all asphalt singles, and minor plywood repairs.

I'm getting a quote from two more local roofers to see how they match.

I was just surprised by the hugh difference between the local guy and home depot/sears.

6K sounds reasonable but 12K is pretty extreme.

lex

Reply to
alex

Don't forget that old rule of business: each set of hands that a product passes through doubles the price!

Reply to
PeterD

The difference is that you will pay $12k to Home Depot or Sears and they will subcontract to the same contractor who said he would do it for $6k. So the only difference will be more money out of your pocket. Go with your local roofer and $6k quote. In case you have some issue you won't have to call 1-800-HomeDepot and stay 30 minutes on hold just to hear generic answers. Local contractor (if issues arise) can come and fix them in same day. I should know I am a roofer and I did subcontractor work for Home Depot and Lowes. I quit Home Depot long time ago because of their shoddy warranty policies on roofs.

JPro Construction New Britain, CT

Reply to
JPro Construction