Before - OR - after

Want to build a basic carport for 2 vehicles. That's no problem for me. My dilemma is when to do sonobuoys for the columns. The vehicles will actually set on gravel, not concrete. My plan is to use creosoted (used) utility poles to retain road base covered by 2" of gravel. The back and sides will be 2 poles high laid on side. 1/2" rebar will prevent lateral movement, using 5/8" auger bit to drill holes into them while held temporarily. With aid of 20 lb. sledgehammer, knock the rebar through the first pole setting on the ground. Pound the rebar far enough into the ground so that when setting the 2nd atop the first, the rebar would not be exposed. The front would only have one utility pole. I plan to create an incline there. The soil is not of any consequence or depth. Underneath, fractured limestone. No frostline here.
So should I put the sonobuoys for concrete to support the carport columns in BEFORE I do the gravel/utility pole thing, or AFTER? (my small garage is loaded out with tools and such, got to move the vehicles) Dave

If the sonoTUBEs/support posts are going INSIDE the pole "foundation", I'd put them in after I set the poles and before I backfilled with gravel. How are you going to "tie" the poles together at the corners ? Chainsaw a 'half-lap' joint and put rebar down/thru ?

Stainless steel bar might be better. Not that expensive. Just built a small wall and 3/4" stainless steel bar was about $12 a meter (I'm in the UK). Perhaps use 1" for this job.