White Zinc cream

Can anyone advise how to remove White Zinc Cream from carpet ? (thanks to an over exhuberant puppy)

Thanks

Reply to
Phil Abel

What are the ingredients listed on the label? It will help knowing if it is oil or water based cream.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Zinc Oxide 25% w/w ; Octyl Methoxycinnamate 7.5% w/w ; 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor 2.0% w/w.

It is SPF 30+ sunburn protection cream. Thanks for your assistance !

Reply to
Phil Abel

A quick google search shows the Octyl Methoxycinnamate listed as a base oil for cosmetics. I would use a dull knife to scrape up as much of the ointment as possible. I would then try blotting the area with a clean towel and some detergent like Dawn dishwashing liquid in hot water. Try not to spread it to a larger area. I would rinse it with some water and white vinegar. It might be a good idea to rent an extractor machine like the Rug Doctor to prevent the rug and pad from becoming saturated with water. If the detergent doesn't remove all the ointment, try a solvent like acetone. Be sure to test an inconspicuous are like a closet first.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I looked at my Zinc Oxide cream. It contains mineral oil, wax, and petroleum. Try removing as much as possible with paper towels. Then place a warm iron over paper towels to warm the area (use the lowest heat setting) and again remove as much as possible with paper towels. Then, shampoo and rinse the area.

Another method that may work (instead of the shampoo) is use a rag dampened with mineral spirits to dab the area. I'd use the rag when very little zinc oxide is remaining, else it may just spread the cream and make a mess. Dispose of the rag properly to avoid spontaneous combustion.

Reply to
Phisherman

I would then try blotting the area with a clean towel

Thanks for your advice. I've managed to get most of the ointment up using detergent and warm water, however there is some residual there.

Next step will be acetone as you sugested, or mineral spirit as suggested by another poster.

Cheers

Phil

Reply to
Phil Abel