zinc flashing

A roofer chap, who normally works in France, is finishing off a steel box section flat roof between two not quite parallel brick walls at my work. He's asked to use zinc as the flashing rather than code 3 lead. Apart from the fact I haven't found it for him yet, what advantages are there in zinc over lead?

Who stocks it in UK? The local company who supplied the roofing sheets insist he means folded galvanise steel sheet but I'm sure he means plain zinc as I have seen it use d on one of those tv programs, probably grand designs.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Zinc won't last so long, especially in more polluted atmospheres

Reply to
newshound

It's cheaper.

Somewhat easier to work for certain tasks like making a tank etc as it has more mechanical strength. Higher melting point so easier to solder.

But for flashing it's not so good. Normally used for soakers on a roof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Code 3 lead is only used on soakers Code 4 or 5 is used for flashings

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Code 3 lead is only used on soakers Code 4 or 5 is used for flashings

We used zinc and not galvanised sheet for flashings on the house. ( also used preshaped zinc for the ridge) up here in Scotland. (existing 1900 house had that fitted so the extension followed suit). Ours came from a company called Asphaltic roofing supplies.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Lead tends to sag if used for soakers unless supported. Zinc is more rigid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)