What is a lint-free cloth

What is a lint-free cloth, and where can I get one?
I have loads of pieces of cloth, and loads of scraps, and loads of rags. I especially save a piece of cloth if I haven't got one like it. But I never know what is "lint-free" and what isn't.
My immediate need is to clean the printhead of a bubblejet printer, because I don't want any lint particles clogging the print jets. I have a commercial head cleaner (although being commercial just means someone was selling it. There is no evidence yet that it works. But if I use a lint free cloth, I know it won't make it worse.) So I need something porous that will hold a little liquid cleaner, but not linty.
My first inclination is that any man-made fiber would work. I still have scraps from 1971 when I was a nightwatchman at a fabric dying factory in Queens. True scraps, nothing more than triangles 4 inches by 12. It's 100% polyester, or something like that. Does that mean it's lint free?
But this question has come up in my mind many times, and I finally thought to ask you folk. What is a lint-free cloth, and do I already have one?
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

You'll know a cloth is lint free by wiping a pane or mirror, then carefully examining the surface for lint under magnification. You can use a jeweler's loupe.
If your printer is showing horizontal streaks you can clean the underside of the head using a Q-Tip moistened with distilled water. Tap water can damage a printer head. Repeat the procedure with another Q-Tip until it wipes clean.

I even have one of those. It's plastic, and only cost a dollar or something, but it's good enough for government work. (Actually, it's surprisingly distortion-free.

Thanks for your speedy reply.
I even have distilled water. I use it in the iron, the steamer, and the car and motorcycle batteries. (The motorcycle still doesn't run, has never run for me, but that's another newsgroup.)

And I don't have to worry about the Q-tip getting fibers in the printhead?
Do you mean for me to rub the head? I was planning just to hold the cloth (or Q-tip) close enough that the holes would suck up the liquid. Or can I rub it a little?
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Yes, gently rub the print head with a moist Q-Tip, underneath and 1/2" beyond each side. However, it is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations. HP has mini-movies on their web site, one showing how to clean the print head (sorry I don't have the specific url).

Canon just says to push the cleaning button. I know I can do better than that. :-)

Wow. CAnon might have improved since the printer was made and the manual was printed.
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

So far I haven't made much progress. I have 4 old cartidges and 2 new ones, and I want to make certain the old ones are bad before opening new. I don't print much, and can't even find something different each time to print for the tests I'm makeing.
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
On "How Clean is Your House" they said a coffee filter is lint-free.

In chemistry class we used "Kimwipes" which are lint-free tissues. Also, you can get something similar at a camera shop.

I thought microfiber cloths were lint-free.
Opinions?
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:54:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Thanks to you and Karen and Phisherman. I think I have coffee filters and since I almost never drink coffee and never at home and don't have a coffee maker, maybe I should use those. :)
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)