Rug cleaning?

Hi there. While visiting my in-laws this weekend we were given a 10'X16' (or so) wool rug that they no longer use. It's a beautiful rug and we look forward to using it, but it's DIRTY!!! There's spots all over the place. It was used in their living room and I'd guess muddy feet walked over the mostly off-white fabric for a long long time. There's also a pretty large area (12 inches by 4 inches) that we're guessing was left there by the cat as she got up in years and didn't always make it to the litter box to urinate.
Here's my question... Clean it myself or have someone do it for me? If we have someone do it for us, what do you think we'd pay for something like that? If we were to clean it ourself, what would you suggest we use? A garden hose? What kind of soap?
Ok I guess it was more than one question, but I"m really excited about this and so figured I'd go to you people to see what you suggest for cleaning.
Thanks so much! Shelley Cedar Rapids, IA

I have my wool oriental rugs professionally cleaned at their facilities. They are submersed in a bath and gently scrubbed, then dried. They are also very good about removing stains. I would be concerned about attempting the whole process at home with a wool rug.
A rug the size you mention would cost me around $50 for the cleaning and worth every penny.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

I agree to have it professionally cleaned. WOW, $50? I had my 10x12 cleaned for $160. Still worth it.
Bonnie in NJ
The rug could be washed outdoors by hand (use Woolite soap and cool water), although there is the problem drying the rug (you should not hang up wool fabrics to dry.) Paying $100 to have the rug professionally cleaned may be the way to go.
Thank you for the suggestions all. I decided to have it professionally done and they are coming to my house at 9 on Thursday morning and said it would cost $55. I'm thrilled with the price and have heard fabulous things about the company that I'm going with.
Thanks again and I"ll let you know how it turns out.
Shelley