iRobot Scooba / Roomba

Page 1 of 2

Hi;
I ordered the scooba I380 from the website today. They list them for 450 and they throw in a roomba 4000 for a bonus. I paid an extra 100 and instead of the roomba 4000, they sent me the roomba with the scheduler. It is supposed to be a much nicer model. Any thoughts or recommendations? Should I have paid the extra 100 dollars? If you have a scooba / roomba, How do you like it? is it worth the money?
My house is about 1700 square feet and I have hard wood floors through out. I dont even have throw rugs. I do have about a 1/2 inch high transition going from the hard wood in the dining room to the linoleum in the kitchen. Will the unit be able to cross that?
Thanks for any advice Pat
I have one and have used it often in the past three years. I have both carpet and tiled floors It can get it's little self up on the throw rugs with no problems. A couple months ago it began running in circles. All the time. I got in touch with the company and they send me a thingy I attached with no problem to reprogram the machine. I mailed it back after a week or so and have no problems since.
--

BetsyB

"komobu" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

Isn't it usually wiser to ask these questions BEFORE you purchase a product?

Welcome to alt.home.repair, you must be new here.
;)

LOL...as far as the room transition goes, I can live with it either way. If I need to, I will do each room on different days. The main reason for the post is that I have 30 days to return it for a full refund. So if I hear that there is basically no difference between the old model and the new, I will return it and purchase the old model because it is 200 dollars cheaper.
Take Care Pat
Keep us posted on how this works for you. I often wondered are these useful devices, or simply a waste. Seems like yo may be happy with it. I have hardwood floors and maybe this would be a reasonable approach to keeping these clean of surface dirt?

I second Jacque's post. Definitely tell us how you like it. I've always sort of wanted one, but have been suspicious that they can't possibly work well enough to justify the price. So report back, if you would. Enquiring minds, and all that. :)
Donna
Donna wrote:

I don't understand the popularity of these devices. How do they vacuum ledges, door jambs, skirtings and furnishings? if they only do half a job and one has to resort to other means to clean those areas then one may as well get a vacuum out with attachments in the first place, the floor takes no time at all anyway with a decent vacuum as long as it's a clutter free floor.
This may come as a shock, but a lot of us don't vacuum ledges, jambs, skirtings, and furnishings every time. I agree that you still need another vacuum to do deep cleaning on a regular basis, but it sure is nice having a Roomba to keep the floors nice in the meantime.
Jo Ann

It doesn't come as a shock dear, I am well aware that there are plenty in this world with no pride in their homes.

There's a fine line between taking pride in a home and an OCD.
On Jun 13, 11:33 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I agree -- not to mention having nothing better to do with your time.

They can't. For example, once a month I use the crevice attachment on the baseboards, the staircase, and under the refrigerator. And I use the soft brush attachment in the theater room (chairs, speaker grills, and draperies). What the robot can do, I can do faster with my upright. When a robot can do that and at a reasonable cost, I'll reconsider.
Speaking of electronic gadgets... I splurged this year and bought a Philco Sonic toothbrush (over $130). I considered it a gadget but got it anyway at the recommendation of my dental hygienist and use it three times a day. I still use my Waterpik and alcohol-based mouthwash in addition to this. Phish absolutely hates to floss but makes unusual New-Years resolutions.
Phisherman wrote:

I had a Sonic toothbrush but to be quite frank I preferred my Braun. The sonic's replacement heads were a frightful price and also they were too big for my mouth. Perhaps you have a smaller one Phish? I didn't notice any difference after a year of use. Sadly I am without a dentist. Despite paying National Insurance it is nigh on impossible in some areas to get a dentist unless one goes private and that is beyond my means at this present time. Perhaps I should look into this Waterpik? I'm not sure what it is but if it helps....

The Phillips Sonic comes with two heads, one small, one large. I bought mine on Amazon and they also have just the replacement heads. The Waterpik has been around for many years and recently has been upgraded and (thankfully) made less noisy. There are other brands and I'm sure they are good as well and very affordable. You fill the machine with warm water and it pulsates a jet stream of water through a small plastic tube which you move between the teeth and over the gums. It is amazing how much debris is removed after regular brushing. It is not a substitute for the dental cleanings, but certainly help keep your teeth cleaner and help prevent decay. Without insurance, you may be able to get checkups at a dental school for little money and since the student are graded they usually do a better job than regular dental hygienists.
Phisherman wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. I know of no one here with this Waterpik gadget but it does sound good and I may consider it.

I second that, it is speedier with ANY hand held vacuum than fussing with a robot. I use my tools on a daily basis, with two shedding dogs, I need to.

The question is not if you can do it faster than the robot, but if you can do it faster than the time it takes to start the robot. If it was necessary to stand and watch while the robot was working then there wouldn't be much point. If I spend 30 minutes vacuuming each week and can save that with a robot, then at $15 per hour its less than a year to pay off the most expensive model ($350). I think it sounds great, and I'm not sure what the value of having freshly vacuumed floors everyday instead of only once a week would be, but then it's probably paid off a whole lot sooner. I look forward to hearing more from Roomba owners.
matthew wrote:

I could not sit in my lounge looking at a newly vacummed carpet and see the skirting board with dust on plus the edges of everything with legs unvacummed because the Roomba can't reach into those spots. I would have to get the feather duster and attachments out. Before one starts the Roomba I am told the room must be cleared of clutter. I can push a vacuum around and move things at the same time so like Phish I too can do it faster than a Roomba, it is NOT just a start button.
I have one. It does a reasonable job picking up dog hair on hardwood and vinyl floors. I do one space at a time, taking out the kitchen or dining room chairs so it can move around freely. I don't use the scheduler. Liz