How to remove glue residue

I've always been troubled by not knowing how to remove glue residue.
The worst is glue left after peeling off labels. I've used hair dryer heat and water soak plus scrub to get by. Now I'm confronted with residue left from size labels on a pair of thongs bought from a discount store. I'm sure if I wear these thongs several times the patch will show, and the sticky feeling is most unpleasant, too.
Any way to "dissolve" the glue? Without leaving a mark on the soft material which does not look like leather and is rather absorbent similar to cardboard though I'm sure it's not.
Ana
Mineral spirits works well, but might take a little scrubbing sometimes. Paint thinner from a hardware store in a 2 gallon can is much more economical than smaller packages. It's often mixed with other stuff and sold in small bottles under a variety of names, they don't work much better.

There are a number of solvents you can try, some mre "aggressive" than others. Not knowing what the thongs are made of makes it difficult to make a specific recommendation. Try a drop or two of cooking oil, mineral oil or baby oil on a rag and gently rub the area. If that doesn't work, try lighter fluid, paint thinner (mineral spirits), or kerosene. I can't guarantee this will remove any color or not. "Goo-Gone" is a product that claims to remove glue residue, although I have not tried this.
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:48:35 GMT, "AnnAnne"

I have been using "Goo Gone" for 10 years - it works very well. It also smells great with a strong orange scent.
Phisherman wrote:

shown: Chewing gum is removed from the hair of a child, with peanutbutter by a mother, and with lighter fluid by a grandfather.
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 04:48:35 GMT, "AnnAnne"

WD40 takes labels and glue off.
GooGone did it. Thanks everyone.
Ana