cookie sheets

How do you get rid of brown grease marks on the edge(corners) of nonstick cookie sheets? Thanks for your help. Julie

Reply to
Julie

Try the edge of an old credit card.

Reply to
jamie

You probably can't clean them. On stainless, you could scrub with Barkeeper's Friend or even use oven cleaner. On aluminum and non-stick you pretty much have to accept that they will get a build-up that can't be removed. I use parchment on baking sheets and it all but prevents the problem.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Take the cookie sheets outside and spray with oven cleaner. After an hour rinse the sheets well. The lye will dissolve the grease. Wear gloves, old clothes, and be extra careful not to get the lye on your skin.

Reply to
Phisherman

Oven cleaner and non-stick pans are usually not compatible - been there, done that.

Reply to
Vox Humana

"Julie" wrote in news:10ikjeehtl6p0c1 @corp.supernews.com:

Try Dawn Power Dissolver, followed by a nylon srubby.

Reply to
Wayne

Be careful not to get the DPD on the rest of the sheet if it is aluminum as it will corrode the surface. I have had DPD remove paint from my built-in soap dispenser and discolor the varnish on my cabinets. You have to really be careful with that product. It does a good job otherwise.

Reply to
Vox Humana

make a baking soda paste with warm water and let it sit on it for a while. then scrape off with a nylon scraper. At least on baking stones this works.... and don't use that vegetable spray in a can....

Reply to
LMW

The non-stick spray will definitely leave a nasty residue on your cookware. I just put oil in a standard spray bottle like you would use for cleaning products. It works well and costs practically nothing. As for the baking stone - I leave that in the oven and just run the cleaning cycle. It comes out like new.

Reply to
Vox Humana

you don't WANT the stone to come out clean...we tell our customers "the uglier it looks, the better it cooks" :) kind of like an iron skillet - you want to leave the seasoning on there so the surface will be slicker.

that "stuff in the can with the girls' name" is nasty - you get a build up and it gets sticky and gross. I use a Spritzer and just olive or canola oil

Reply to
LMW

The best way I have found to take care of stained, scratched, ugly bake ware is to toss it in the trash, then go spend a few dollars or brand new, shiny replacements.

Life is too short unless your really get off trying to clean worthless things.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

I guess that is one way to deal with it and I have "been there" with regard to this issues. However, I have come to the conclusion that life is too short to worry about inconsequential stains on a cookie sheet that spends

99% of its time hidden in a cupboard. I would spend the time and money it would take to replace the item on something nice for someone. The cookies will taste the same regardless of whether the pan is shiny or not. Also, you can all but prevent the problem by using parchment to line the baking sheet. If you have a GFS Marketplace/Gordon Food Service in your area, you can pick up a package of parchment pan liners. They come in a package of 50 liners cut for full-sheet pans for just under $3. That means you can cut them in half and get 100 half-sheet liners for about 3 cents each. They can be used a couple of times if you are baking large batches and when you are done, it goes in the trash and the pan often doesn't even have to be washed.
Reply to
Vox Humana

I like the way you think.

peggo