Cleaning Stainless Steel Grill

We have a Brinkman gas grill with stainless steel hood, doors, and parts of the frame. We'd like to give this a good cleaning, de-greasing, remove some burnt on "varnish" areas, etc. However, we do _not_ want to scour the finish or use any abrasives that would leave marks on the finish.
Any suggestions for a successful job?
TIA Wayne

I use heavy duty oven cleaner on stainless. It works fine on my stainless cookware and range top. The issue with the grill may be keeping the cleaner in place. I generally take large objects and put them in garbage bags, spray them, and then close the bag for several hours. The old vanish rinses right off.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:58:56 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

"Bartender's Friend." Someone else has suggested oven cleaner. One caution about oven cleaner: It is a very effective paint remover.
--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

I think you are thinking about "Barkeeper's Friend." However, it is abrasive and will dull shiny surfaces. I would give the grill a good overall cleaning with Dawn dishwashing liquid, then treat the stubborn spots with oven cleaner. There are nonabrasive products you can buy that are made specifically for cleaning grills, but these are not necessary.

"Greased Lighning"! Best damn de-greaser I've ever used. Should be able to buy it at a grocery or discount store. Just be sure to flush real well with water.
Rob (who isn't an employee of A&M Cleaning Products)
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Take that sucker up to 700 to 800 degrees and burn the stuff off.
I don't want any cleaning chemicals anywhere near *my* barbecue grills.
Do you wash and scrub your cast iron pans and your wok?
Geeze,
BOB

Cast iron and carbon steel require different cleaning methods than stainless.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was referring to cleaning the *exterior* of the grill, not the grids inside. Those are enameled cast iron which I brush first, then burn off. Worst case, I would put the grids through a cycle in my self-cleaning oven.
It actually the cabinet part of the unit I need to clean.
Wayne

Following up to my own post...
Thanks, all, for the great suggestions. I would probably go for the oven cleaner, but quite a few areas of the stainless steel are adjacent to enameled surfaces (not porcelain enamel), and I'm afraid it might ruin the finish on these areas.
I already have Barkeeper's Friend, so that will be my first try. Also like the ideas of the buffing pad and the degreaser mentioned.
I've already tried Dawn and it wasn't quite as effective as I had hoped.
Thanks again!
Wayne

Go to a restaurant supply shop and buy some SF-77. Spray that stuff on with a spray bottle and all grease and stuff will melt right off. You may want to dump some in hot water in a bucket and use a sponge type scrubber for dishes to scrub if it doesn't dissolve fast enough for you. just make sure you hose it off real good after scrubbing it down.