Cleaning "Old" Stuffed Animals

I have several stuffed animals that are 55-60 years old. While they aren't really dirty, they definitely are dusty and need revitalizing. I'm worried that due to age they are fragile and don't quite know how to approach cleaning them gently but thoroughly.
Any ideas?
TIA Wayne

How about using Dryel - the home dry cleaning system from Proctor and Gamble? http://www.dryel.com/usa/index.shtml

Thanks, Vox. Ordinarily I would give Dryel a try, but I'm concerned about the effects of tumbling in the dryer on things that are that old. Otherwise it sounds like a perfect solution!
Wayne

Some dryers have shelves for items like sweaters. I'm not sure if this is something that is available at a coin laundry - maybe one that is more upmarket? If they are valuable, you might just take them to a reputable dry cleaner. Another possibility is to contact a museum to see if they could give you some ideas.

Thanks, Vox. Good points. I have to give this some more thought before I act.
Wayne
On Wed, 05 May 2004 05:00:47 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

I would avoid getting them wet, as you don't know the contents. How about putting them in a bag and using the hose of a vaccum to suck the air out, which will help get some of the dust out. You could also try a barely damp cloth or sponge on the surface. Just make sure not to get the stuffing wet. Put them in the sun to dry off, and fluff the fur.
Nan

Probably my best bet. I was also thinking of using the dusting brush on the vacuum to get rid of most of the surface dust first.
Thanks!
Wayne