Cleaning old floor

We have just ripped up the old lino tiles from the kitchen and underneath is, what was an attractive floor, now covered in crud! It looks like polished stone chippings set in concrete and her indoors likes it and does not want it covered up. A. What type of material is it? B. What is the best method of removing the remnants of lino/vinyl tile? Thanks John

Reply to
johno

"johno" wrote in news:1114291061.202806.25740 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Could it be terrazzo?

you do get it clean, you could try one of the emulsion polishes (usually used on vinyl) to improve the looks.

I take it you mean that the lino/vinyl was actually stuck to the floor? Rather you than me!

Reply to
Rod

Hi Rod, Yes it is Terrazo! thanks for that. No the tiles had not been glued down as such, they where non slip so had a tacky backing, just a few bits stuck here and there. It is mainly the black lines where they used to be. Thanks again

Reply to
johno

Hi

Terrazzo is made from marble chippings in a Portland cement matrix, it's widely used in supermarkets and shopping malls. Incredibly durable given the right treatment.

The residue from vinyl and adhesive will respond to a solvent like white spirit, which won't affect the terrazzo. Scrub with a green scourer & rinse well with water & detergent.

If the terrazzo is very dirty, a mild phosphoric acid scrub will bring it back to life. Acid scrubs are a one off renovation. If it's not too bad, try the following;

Beg, borrow or hire a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. Mop the floor with a neutral detergent, get it really wet and keep it wet for half an hour. The idea is to soak the dirt out. After a while you should literally see the dirt floating on top of the water.

Use the wet/dry vac to suck up the water & dirt, removing it from the floor.

Keep clean with a neutral detergent - terrazzo doesn't like any kind of alkali.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Thanks Dave, will try out the White Spirit method, it is not bad enough for an acid scrub, I don't think ! Cheers John

Reply to
johno

Try cellulose thinners (plenty of ventilation) and a scouring pad or scrubbing brush.

Then reapply appropriate polish to stine, as this will leach out most wax finishes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can you buy cellulose thinners in decent quantity and price now? I thought they were a victim on an EU directive of a few years ago? I hope you can.

Reply to
EricP

Just need to go to a trade outlet, yes.

Reply to