Carpet Cleaning bleach. Please help !

I need your kind help. Otherwise, i might lose $$$$ for no fault of mine.
I moved into my apartment 4.5 months back. My apartment carpet looked just fine when i moved in. The carpet is yellow-orange in color.
Some weeks later i moved in, i noticed that in some areas, the carpet had become lighter in color. I tended to ignore it for sometime and complained after 1.5 months of moving in. The apartment people did nothing. They told me that the previous owner had bleached the carpet and because of that this happened.
So after 2.5 months more (Now), more areas - in my room etc. started becoming lighter in color. Now the apartment people are saying that i am to blame for it as i used some cleaning liquid !!. They now say that the previous owner cannot have done it as the bleach effect gets seen in 2-3 hours. I complained the first time only after 1.5 months.
I have not used any bleach or coloring agent. I just vaccum clean my carpet. I stay in california. What can i do now?. Can someone point me a site where it explains what could have happenned?. What kind of chemical agent is this?. Some dye which has worn off ?. Please help.
As time goes by, more and more tiny areas of the carpet become lighter in color than the surrounding ones!
Regards Karthik
you may need to dye the entire carpet. sounds like the previous people really messed up the carpet and you will be the one paying for their shameful activity.
Ed

I've been wondering if the person who bleached the carpet might have tried to undo the damage by using markers to repair the lost color; and now those weak colors are fading, revealing the original damage.
Michael Whatever it takes.

Pick out some fibres and send them to a testing house. Tell them the problem and tehy will investigate the cause, which should cost around 30 UK. It might save you a fortune. -- DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web
Hi Sherlock, You need to call an insurance adjuster and get his recommendation on a firm that does carpet testing. ( They all use them to tell the age and condition of carpets damaged in insurance claims). It may cost a few bucks now to get his opinion now but it will be worth it's weight in gold if the apt. magt. takes you to court for damages.
Regards, The Fuller Brush Man http://www.MyFullerBrush.com