What is an average project size in drawing storage

I am trying to determine how many meg of storage the drawings of a typical commercial building project would require- This would include all the tiff, dwg, dxf, etc.
I know there is no such thing as "typical" Maybe I could hope for more than one response to this question with some parameters or rules of thumb.
Thanks, Richard
Don wrote:

Sounds like a good rule of thumb, making two assumptions: the number excludes presentation images and animations (if there are any), and assumes good server 'housekeeping' (e.g. fairly frequent archiving of unused files.)
Adobe Illustrator files can easily top 100MB, and an animated fly-through in .avi format can easily be 500MB.
I say this because at work we have a 400,000sf project on the boards, and the project drive is easily over 1 GB - including all of our presentation files and a bunch of old 'crud' that nobody's bothered to clean out.
Who cares, storage is cheap.

From an IT/Cad Manager perspective, it's helpful in planning to know how much storage and backup media/equipment you need to do the daily backups and archives. Knowing how many projects kept alive X project size vs how many and when projects should be off-loaded to long term storage. Also, how large is the backup equipment and how long will it take to do the backup. Then factor in a growth factor for the extra images, 3d, pdf, research material and the Cad Manager can plan for tomorrow and not do "ad-hoc" management.
Back when I first started, an average of 100k per drawing sheet (R10). Then it quickly burgeoned into 500k/sheet for R12/early 90's and exponentially grew from there. 3 years ago that amounted to an archive of 5mb/sheet (without 3d) - but that was after a severe purge.

I just did a quick check on one of our projects.........250,000 s.f. office building that we completed last year. The project folders half about 1.5G in them......everything from photos to correspondence files.

P.Fritz wrote:

office
1.5G
After reading this thread I decided to go check a couple of recent projects I've been working on this last year and the file size stunned me: One project started in November and finished DD about a month ago was 7.6G The other that is finished (DD only) and about to start construction was 11.3G We do a lot of raster/3d stuff, but I think we need to take a look at our file management, that's ridiculous ;-0

The raster / 3d stuff will eat up space. These were pretty much straight production stuff.
And I use one building 'model' for all plans.......using xref's, so some of my most intense sheets are actualls very small files.

No it isn't. Knowing how much money you've got to spend is helpful. Buy as much as you can cause you'll use it.

Ok, so you got the numbers. Go figure it out. It's only math and the answer will never be enough.