The Politics of Smaller Houses

In this ~23 minute video, Jay Shafer of Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, discusses building codes and civil disobedience among other subjects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq9xf0OhaVI

This video suggests, to the tune of a couple of "gently rebellious folk songs", the relative ease and simplicity of (small) house building:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qghZ2ao7GKM

If you don't think you have a fast enough connection to download these videos, you can get a download manager that resets dropped/slow connections, sometimes in the form of a plugin for your browser that allows downloading streaming videos for later viewing. (So) You can (also) go to a place, such as a neighbour, local library or cafe, where there's a faster line, and download all kinds of things for later viewing at your leisure.
If all else fails, there are plenty of links to static pages with nice images, even beginning with a Google Images keyword search. Another place/way to begin might be here (see also links below): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_house_movement

You can spend your years fighting the system, and lose, or you can carve your own path based on what you believe in. Cape Coral, FL requires all homes be at least 1100 sf so a tiny, or tumbleweed, home will not be allowed there now or in the indefinite future, so why bother even trying? In Bean Blossom, IN I already have a tiny home, 12'x12' and though I am not in violation of any rules it doesn't really matter. Rules restrict, and propagate exponentially, to the peril of all humanity.

I was thinking of rebuilding my 6m / 20ft caravan, but it survived a big cyclone for the second time undamaged so maybe there's no hurry :-) [Never been successfully challenged as a code breach - I've kept the wheels on and the tyres pumped up, so it's a road vehicle, not an assessable structure.]

Too true. Here in Queensland Oz, things have moved a bit in the right direction. Under recent sustainability measures, it is now illegal for developers to mandate a minimum size for a dwelling. There are still a few local ordinances that specify a minimum size, but the State Code writers recently promised they will start weeding these out this year. They said they'd start last year, but never mind, some progress being made :-)